The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
junior

Re: The Okapi Ratchet Knife - Question

Post by junior »

about 8 years ago i used to work with a jamaican guy at the airport, he also had one of these, the way he opened it was he would put his finger through the key ring from bottom to top direction then spin it hard, he would then catch it in mid spin with the tip of his finger just below the pivot, his finger would still be in the key ring and this would automaticaly pull the lock, loosening the tension and giving the blade freedom to whip open with centrivical force. very hard to master but it looks cool if you can pull it off
In A Dog Eat Dog World, Be A Wolf
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

I'll have to try when I get mine!!
What knife?

Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

fashionable_man wrote:Thanks for all of the input guys. I should also add that I've seen my own knife flicked open and it's pretty stiff, 'cause it's fairly new. A friend of a friend's husband from Tobago saw my knife peeking out of my back pocket (it's my new EDC) and exclaimed, "You got a 'tree star'"! He recognized the knife of his misspent youth. I handed it over and with a good swing of his arm, he flicked it open and closed and open and closed again. The sound was comparable to someone "raking" a pump shotgun. I was a bit too shocked to ask him how he did it and it happened a bit too quickly for me to see how.

It can be done, but again, how?????
maybe you could look up the Tobago Dude and and give him one for himself I bet he would be happy to show you how to work it!
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Cryptomecanic wrote:
fashionable_man wrote:Thanks for all of the input guys. I should also add that I've seen my own knife flicked open and it's pretty stiff, 'cause it's fairly new. A friend of a friend's husband from Tobago saw my knife peeking out of my back pocket (it's my new EDC) and exclaimed, "You got a 'tree star'"! He recognized the knife of his misspent youth. I handed it over and with a good swing of his arm, he flicked it open and closed and open and closed again. The sound was comparable to someone "raking" a pump shotgun. I was a bit too shocked to ask him how he did it and it happened a bit too quickly for me to see how.

It can be done, but again, how?????
maybe you could look up the Tobago Dude and and give him one for himself I bet he would be happy to show you how to work it!

That sounds like an idea.
Just got mine from Ragweed forge, Nice guy, great service, I can't figure out how it's done, cool knife though, fits the pocket well.
What knife?

Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I ordered a couple last week,should be here before too long, I'm thinking Inertia + Leverage = open :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Cryptomecanic wrote:I ordered a couple last week,should be here before too long, I'm thinking Inertia + Leverage = open :)
It will take a LOT of inertia :!: These are VERY stiff/difficult to open :idea:
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Mine pulls open easy enough, I found one of the Cold Steel copies for a few bucks on ebay, now there's a knife that is stiff/hard to open! At any rate, if I can figure out the open with one hand trick, I just might have a new EDC. I'm willing to bet once I figger it out it'll be easy!
What knife?

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

79spitfire wrote:At any rate, if I can figure out the open with one hand trick, I just might have a new EDC. I'm willing to bet once I figger it out it'll be easy!
Mr. 79spitfire,

Wouldja hurry upness, I have 3 coming... :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
fashionable_man

Post by fashionable_man »

Man,

I still haven't received my two from Ragweed and I ordered around the same time I posted a link to his website. I think it's pushing 4 weeks now! Arrg.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

You should have got the from Chris at Worldknives, he is cheap and fast to ship out.....

http://www.worldknives.com/manufacturers/okapi-5.html
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Tom19176 wrote:You should have got the from Chris at Worldknives, he is cheap and fast to ship out.....

http://www.worldknives.com/manufacturers/okapi-5.html
His shipping might be lightning fastness, but his price onna large one (907E) is almos' 50% higher than Ragweed - $14.95 buck dollars vs. $10 buck dollars...

My order from Ragweed totaled $33.00 buck dollars (inc. shipping).
Exact same order from worldknives would be $41.80 buck dollars (inc. shipping). Since I have more time than money, I think I'll just wait and save close to a sawbuck...
JerrBear
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I was not sure about the other prices on these as the other knives I have got from him were always a good deal, but isn't the four knife deal a good one? This one ?

http://www.worldknives.com/products/oka ... 77352af602
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Tom19176 wrote:but isn't the four knife deal a good one? This one ?

http://www.worldknives.com/products/oka ... 77352af602
Mr. Tom19176,

Indeed it IS a good deal. I didn't see that. Wisht I had seen it before I ordered. It would have been like getting the 4th knife for $3 buck dollars.

I was just looking at the individual prices of the three I ordered. One was a nickel cheaper, the other two were both almos' 50% higher...
JerrBear
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

cove cutlery in r.i. carryies them and some other styles also, good prices.

tryker
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Ragweed is in New York, I wonder if the shipping delay is going to Canada? He sent me mine on the 11th and I got mine on 13th!
What knife?