Setting up my shop

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

:lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A cushioned wheel cuts more aggressively, but leaves a smoother finish.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
storebought

Post by storebought »

Bill, I take it you suggest ordering the optional 10" aluminum wheel in place of the 4" stock wheel?

This is definately on my list of tools.
Never trust the weird looking little dog ~ or anyone else for that matter.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The stock wheel on a Grizzly is 8", and it works just fine.
Bill
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
storebought

Post by storebought »

I get it! Power tools giveth, and taketh away!

I will post pics!
storebought

Post by storebought »

storebought wrote:I will post pics!
Attachments
shop.jpg
shop.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

Wot?! No files 'n' hammers 'n' hacksaws with broken blades??? :lol:
'Such is Life'
Mick
storebought

Post by storebought »

Dances with Emus wrote:Wot?! No files 'n' hammers 'n' hacksaws with broken blades??? :lol:
Those are to the right of the bandsaw. I have concluded that you need about two dozen types of files, two dozen ball peen hammers, a good shop vac, respirator and safety glasses, scribe, sharpie pens, bandaids, and a handle of Seagrams Seven.

Oh, and I still have all of my digits, despite a doozie of a cut with a cutting blade on my dremel. :D
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Better cover that wicker table with a garbage bag. You'll never get all the dust off of it if you don't!
Bill
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Looks like we've got the same belt sander and drill press.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
storebought

Post by storebought »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Better cover that wicker table with a garbage bag. You'll never get all the dust off of it if you don't!
Bill
SH*T . . . my bmw motorcycle is (uncovered) on the other side of that wicker table. and covered with dust I might add.

I was going into the shop to grind tonight. Looks like I will be dusting instead.
storebought

Post by storebought »

tr4252 wrote:Looks like we've got the same belt sander and drill press.

Tom
I wish I could say we had the same really cool grinder!!
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thanks storebought. I don't know if anybody else would be nuts enough to build something like it, though. It's got to be the most expensive machine I've got, in terms of time, effort, etc. Every piece, every circuit re-invented about 3 or 4 times, and now I'm working on a conversion to 10" wheels. I think it's fair to say that I like the machinery almost as much as making the knives. The whole idea was to facilitate my work after a couple of injuries limited my ability to use my hands, but now that I'm almost fully healed my way of doing things has changed forever.

Tom
BurnKnives

Post by BurnKnives »

Funny, but my dremel tool with wand is my most used tool in my shop. I wear out a wand once per year.... the gears wear out of them I use it so much.

My shop looked just like yours when I started 9 yrs ago storebought, there was dust everywhere in my basement.

I don't think you can have too many tools or machines. For me personally, the more machinery and tools I have, the easier it is to build and the more machinery you acquire over time the more accurate your work will become as you progress.

Takes me longer now to build a knife than it ever has in the past and thats because I'm more detailed now with finishing and lock-ups than I've ever been. I've found those 2 things to increase every year.

Whats wonderful about the world of knife-making is that its unexhaustible. I've built the picklock mech for years now and feel I've just finally found a pretty good way to build it so that it doesn't self destruct like the old antiques do after a few hundred fires. Took me 4 yrs of building the liner lock mech to really get a handle on it and after 5 yrs of building the lockback mech I'm only just now coming to the point where its become easy for me to produce extremely well. I would say though that no human being will ever completely master any mech out there, there are soo many ways to arrive to the point of completion. I've always been intrigued to see and hear of other makers techniques, it can be literally amazing how people build things.
Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

BurnKnives wrote:Takes me longer now to build a knife than it ever has in the past and thats because I'm more detailed now with finishing and lock-ups than I've ever been. I've found those 2 things to increase every year.

Whats wonderful about the world of knife-making is that its unexhaustible. I've built the picklock mech for years now and feel I've just finally found a pretty good way to build it so that it doesn't self destruct like the old antiques do after a few hundred fires. Took me 4 yrs of building the liner lock mech to really get a handle on it and after 5 yrs of building the lockback mech I'm only just now coming to the point where its become easy for me to produce extremely well. I would say though that no human being will ever completely master any mech out there, there are soo many ways to arrive to the point of completion. I've always been intrigued to see and hear of other makers techniques, it can be literally amazing how people build things.
It's a relief to hear you say that; I've been making the same knife over and over the last couple of years, trying to perfect the mechanism with every new one. I was beginning to wonder if I was an idiot for not having it just right after one or two design changes....

I agree about the fit & finish issue too; time consuming but vitally important.

Tom