Knife Repair Needed? [Warning: Big pictures attached]

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
unafan

Knife Repair Needed? [Warning: Big pictures attached]

Post by unafan »

Hi. My mother gave me her Henckels 7 inch Santoku knife, but it wasn't taken care of that well. She throws it in the drawer with other knives. There is also a crack on the spine near the bolster. Can it be repaired? I'm afraid that it will become a big problem if it gets rusted and breaks the knife while I'm cooking or something... any input? Thanks!

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

That crack appears to be a flaw in the steel forging and not due to mis-use. It is doubful there is a risk from rust as it is stainless steel, but I would be concerned that the flaw may extend more deeply causing the knife to fail in heavy use.

Even though the knife may be some years old, you might be able to get a replacement as this is a manufacturer's defect and Henckels is highly reputable. Worth a try....