Knife Sharpening

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tpyke

Knife Sharpening

Post by tpyke »

I just wanted to share this with the rest of you...
Recently I went out and bought a set of three Japanese natural sharpening whetstones to sharpen my kitchen knives. I often heard people praising this system , so I figured I would give it a shot. I grabbed an old piece of crap kitchen knife in the bottom of the drawer and decided to try it with that. It took maybe 10 minutes to figure out how to do it and the knife got scary sharp! Now that I'm a little bit more used to it, I can get a knife sharpened in under 5 minutes. Sharper or as sharp as any factory sharp kitchen knife! These stones complemented with a ceramic rod for honing will fulfill all your sharpening needs. I even got a FrankB bayo blade razor sharp!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Where and how much?
Regards,
Frank
Don't blame me, I voted for Alice Cooper.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Also a brand name would be good so that those who shop the internet can find them there.

This solution sounds like it could be a very cost effective method compared ot some of the more elaborate and expensive "systems" out there. A concern is that some of us are all thumbs. Does this method require much skill?
tpyke

Post by tpyke »

I bought mine here: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/WhetS ... T:%20130px
It's a bit of an investment at first, but more than worth it IMO. It comes out to $30/stone, but the stones come with this rubber holder that prevents it from slipping since you have to soak them in water. It's not much of a skill to sharpen with these things...you just have to slide the knife on the stone and keep about the same angle. I thought I would screw up at first and divert from my initial angle, but if I did who cares because my knives are sharp and it doesn't even show that I sharpened them, they look brand new. On the site I mentioned above, they even show you instructions on how to sharpen them. These guys are located in Japan, but they ship just as fast or even faster than most people in the US. Plus I think the shipping is included in the price. You might also be interested in checking out some of their Hattori damascus kitchen knives as well....