Forever SC-16WB ceramic knife

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

Re: Forever SC-16WB ceramic knife

Post by kwackster »

Currently busy removing the microchips from the apex with a Paper Wheel coated with 15 micron diamond compound.
The idea is to finish the new apex with only this compound and then find out how the knife will do with the resulting rather coarse edge (for a ceramic knife)

Although it remains quite difficult to capture the scratch pattern in pictures, the USB-microscope proves to be very useful in showing a sharpening fault (picture 1) and an extremely small chip remnant (picture 2).
Picture 5 also shows that the apex is already becoming translucent with this finish at 25 degrees inclusive.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Last edited by kwackster on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

Before i completely finished the edge to 15 micron i decided to use it just once, cutting up a box of mushrooms, some bell peppers, and some onions on my end grain wooden cutting board.
The 3 pics below show the result: not only microchips, but larger sections of the apex measuring several millimeters have completely broken off.
I think it's safe to say that a 15 micron edge finish is a bit too coarse for this ceramic material.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by kwackster on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

First resharpened the old edge with a Paper Wheel coated with 15 micron diamond compound to get rid of the damaged sections in the apex, then refined it just one step with a second Paper Wheel coated with 6 micron diamond compound.
The new apex can whittle a chest hair towards the hair root (this is noticeably easier than towards the point of the hair), and it also has a little more bite.
Will see how this edge finish holds up in our kitchen, as the knife is already in use again: