Ceramic Knifes, how do you like them?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bigfatross

Ceramic Knifes, how do you like them?

Post by bigfatross »

Hi Gang,
I hone my wife's kitchen knifes a lot!
My wife is a GREAT cook but man is she though on a knife, cuts things on a cutting board scrapes the board with the blade edge to transfer contents in to another bowl (after I tell her to flip the knife over and use the blade spine not the edge to scrape). Cuts into meat and after hitting the bone slices one or two more times for good measure. Cuts that thick plastic packaging that you almost need a bomb to open.
I think she does this on purpose to get even with me when I don't take my shoes off at the back door, and a little piece of grass or dirt falls on the kitchen floor, or should I say "HER" kitchen floor.

I just wanted to know if any of you have used a ceramic kitchen knife? If so how do you like them, do they hold an edge? Do you sharpen them on any thing special or just trash them when they get dull? Is there a difference in ceramic blades / manufacturer? Harbor Freight is down the street from me and has them on sale at a reasonable price. I might pick one up and let the war department stress test it. Any pros or cons, please let us know
Thanks in advance Ross
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Ceramic Knifes, how do you like them?

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. bigfatross,

I have a ceramic knife (Yoshi Blade). Think I got sucked into buying it from a slick TV ad. Didn't notice it to be any sharper than a steel blade. I don't cook muchness. The blade lost it's edge rather quickly. I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I buy another...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Ldelandy wrote:is the ceramic knife can be use also in chopping pork? or its only for vegetables and fruits??
Both as far as I know........ You can probably even chase your Husband around the kitchen table with it, like my wife does :D
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. bigfatross,

I have a ceramic knife (Yoshi Blade). Think I got sucked into buying it from a slick TV ad. Didn't notice it to be any sharper than a steel blade. I don't cook muchness. The blade lost it's edge rather quickly. I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I buy another...
Thanks JerrBear , yeah probably to good to be true type of thing,I'm going to hold off on getting one. THANKS
Djerman

Post by Djerman »

bigfatross wrote:Hi Gang,
I hone my wife's kitchen knifes a lot!
My wife is a GREAT cook but man is she though on a knife, cuts things on a cutting board scrapes the board with the blade edge to transfer contents in to another bowl (after I tell her to flip the knife over and use paris cdg transfer the blade spine not the edge to scrape). Cuts into meat and after hitting the bone slices one or two more times for good measure. Cuts that thick plastic packaging that you almost need a bomb to open.
I think she does this on purpose to get even with me when I don't take my shoes off at the back door, and a little piece of grass or dirt falls on the kitchen floor, or should I say "HER" kitchen floor.

I just wanted to know if any of you have used a ceramic kitchen knife? If so how do you like them, do they hold an edge? Do you sharpen them on any thing special or just trash them when they get dull? Is there a difference in ceramic blades / manufacturer? Harbor Freight is down the street from me and has them on sale at a reasonable price. I might pick one up and let the war department stress test it. Any pros or cons, please let us know
Thanks in advance Ross
personally, ceramic knifes is very convenient
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Come on guys - Help Mr. bigfatross outness. I know there are a lot of you out there that have a LOT more experience with ceramic knives than MOI...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have never owned one.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Just seems to me that it might break under pressure, guess metal will too but don't see one in my future.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

From what I understand, you sharpen a ceramic knife by using a diamond stone or diamond stick. A few passes on a diamond "stone/stick" at the proper angle will put an edge back on a ceramic blade. It takes the same precision angle as one would use on a white stone or ceramic stick with either a carbon or stainless steel blade.

As it is with every sharpening method, it's a matter of both tools and technique.
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Ross
I dont have any ceramic kitchen knives but bought this boker some years ago.
Linerlock razor sharp I mean hair shaving sharp.Titanium scales and 9" overall light as a feather,sharp as an ex wifes tongue.
I cant attest to heavy usage though as in a kitchen chopping meat,hitting bone etc but its at least 10 years old and retains its edge .
I love the look of ceramics and definitely their sharpness .
Im glad you posted this as id love to know how to sharpen mine.
Again sorry its not a kitchen blade.
Regards
Ian
Attachments
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (284.37 KiB) Viewed 21863 times
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg (320.61 KiB) Viewed 21863 times
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (269.68 KiB) Viewed 21863 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I like that knife! Where did you buy it at?
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Amazingly Sammy in good ole england. :)
It's a Boker Magnum plus 01BO035 model ceramic knife
It was about 2009 I think from a knife supplier here.It's still pretty mint,solid lock up beautifully built and as I said razor Sharp out of the box being ceramic.
There on sale at chefdepot,in the US at $69.95 ,or 82.95 dollars with carbon fibre instead of titanium,but these are beautifully made,smooth action and lightweight .
Have a look mate,but you'd probably get a good switchblade for 70 dollars.
Cool knives though,I'm always afraid of dropping it point first, :)
oregon

Post by oregon »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuy2pd5rFBU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MUQWA5CjzVw

I had a box of these, black and green handled ones, lost em all. If anyone has access to one please ping me. I would love to re up. POTENT PK2-WO2 Zirconia + ABS Folding Ceramic Knife - Green + White

I carried it most of the time and used it to prepare fruit for consumption. Cleaned up fast and sure, pivot was only metal, carried lite lite lite, one hand opener and closure, inexpensive, big enough, always sharp, white blade and green handle were both a plus.

An enthusiast in Jakarta sent me one. He bot it there in an ACE hardware store. ACE in North America couldn't get them. I contacted the mfg and acquired directly. His production team were friends and neighbors in his garage/shop. I wanted a business relationship but, unfortunately, couldn't get him to produce a consistently one-hand-opener-friendly product. Since out of production AFAIK. !@#$%

kwackster

Post by kwackster »

Currently doing a review on a ceramic kitchen knife: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fore ... e.1206014/
spidergear

Post by spidergear »

Around two months ago, I bought two ceramic knives online after reading that they are super sharp and featherweight. Yes! They were sharp for a few days, not featherweight at all. I know they should be used on hard things, but they aren't useful. When they were new, I took them with me to camping (maybe I was just excited to use them). But they didn't serve any purpose. Thankfully, I had an automatic Agitator Dagger OTF knife that helped me do lots things- from hunting to preparing food. I don't think ceramic knives can be used like other knives. They are resting without any purpose in my house.