Messermeister-Germany

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Messermeister-Germany

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Hello Forumites--

I have a 3-piece set of these knives I bought in Eugene. They were razor sharp out of the box, but now they are finally starting to dull. What is the best technique to re-sharpen them? I don't want to ruin them like the last set I had. The blade is etched: No Stain X55 CR MO V14

Any comments will be appreciated.

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Place them in a pyramid facing due north,you will be amazed at the results! :lol:
Last edited by the spotlight kid on Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan-o The Ritalin Kid

Post by Dan-o The Ritalin Kid »

Spotlight, It don't work I tell ya. I sat in a pyramid facing north and I ain't any sharper. :(
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If you're an expert with a belt sander, it doesn't get any better.
Otherwise let those who have other [better] methods advise you.
lenmattsen

Post by lenmattsen »

Here's some info that may be useful to you. What you have are high chrome + vanadnium stainless steel. It is rated at a Rockwell hardness of about 58/59 on the C scale. The upside is that these are tough, hard blades that hold their edge for a long time. The down side is that they take special care to sharpen.
The best method is to obtain a sharpening kit by Lansky or DMT (Diamond Machine & tool) These consist of a jig to hold the blade stationary while the sharpening stones are moved along a guide to get the proper angle for sharpening and finishing the edge.
I have a DMT set with diamond stones. It gives me a perfect edge every time on nearly every cutting tool I own. The kit cost less that one good forged utility knife. It has lasted over ten years with no replacements required.
If you have any more questions feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays,
Len