best knives in the world?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
roran1234
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

best knives in the world?

Postby roran1234 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi,

I am looking to buy a chef's knife, the best in the world...

I already have an entire set of Global knives including the Global-G2

I have been looking at the MIYABI 7000MC, is this what i seek?

Thanks,

Roran

dinobru
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby dinobru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi

I too am looking for a money no object set of knives........recently posted a question reagrding Kasumi but had no replies.

They are supposed to P!ss all over Global blades but i want to be sure.

User avatar
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority
Posts: 25709
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 10:07 am
Location: Live Free or Die
Contact:

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby Vagrant » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 pm

The only "name brand" I've used myself is "Russell Green River".
Many of my kitchen knives are OLD carbon steel ones [they work fine] but stainless is mandated by law [many places] for knives used in commercial food preparation :idea:
I like the fact that Due Buoi FORGES their knives 8) Many companies just stamp them out from a roll of steel.

roran1234
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby roran1234 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 pm

dinobru wrote:Hi

I too am looking for a money no object set of knives........recently posted a question reagrding Kasumi but had no replies.

They are supposed to P!ss all over Global blades but i want to be sure.


I looked at them today, heave but there was something about them... definately don't piss on Global though

User avatar
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli
Posts: 5223
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Baghdad by the Bay

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby natcherly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:06 am

With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...

sammy da blade
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:43 pm
Location: U. S. A.

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby sammy da blade » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:29 am

bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!

User avatar
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli
Posts: 5223
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Baghdad by the Bay

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby natcherly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:56 am

sammy da blade wrote:bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!

So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.

User avatar
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority
Posts: 25709
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 10:07 am
Location: Live Free or Die
Contact:

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby Vagrant » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm

natcherly wrote:
sammy da blade wrote:bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!

So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.

They had to find SOMETHING that stainless could cut :lol:

User avatar
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder
Posts: 8363
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 7:41 pm
Location: Fresno-by-the-Sea

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby JerrBear » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:31 pm

sammy da blade wrote:Best cooking knives in the world are the Ginsu that are on info. commercials around this time of year. If you don't believe me just ask them!

natcherly wrote:So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.

I have found the MB cans to be the mos' tastyness... :P

CAUTION!
Do not overcook as this could cause molten metal to penetrate your tongue and lower jaw, land on your shoe and give you one helluva "hotfoot!" :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?

roran1234
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby roran1234 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 pm

natcherly wrote:With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...



I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives

User avatar
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli
Posts: 5223
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Baghdad by the Bay

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby natcherly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 pm

roran1234 wrote:
natcherly wrote:With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...



I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives

This discussion has been visited several times. By high end in this context, I really should have said expensive. Now I am sure you can pay lots more. The real point is this: no one can convince me a $1000 chef's knife will make you a better cook than if you stayed with a high quality one costing $200. Just like some golfers who really get a kick out of owning the latest, most expensive driver, especially if no one else has one. Doesn't matter that their short game sucks....

roran1234
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby roran1234 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 am

natcherly wrote:
roran1234 wrote:
natcherly wrote:With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...



I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives

This discussion has been visited several times. By high end in this context, I really should have said expensive. Now I am sure you can pay lots more. The real point is this: no one can convince me a $1000 chef's knife will make you a better cook than if you stayed with a high quality one costing $200. Just like some golfers who really get a kick out of owning the latest, most expensive driver, especially if no one else has one. Doesn't matter that their short game sucks....


I didn't every say anything about becoming a better chef... but you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........

User avatar
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli
Posts: 5223
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Baghdad by the Bay

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby natcherly » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:50 am

roran1234 wrote:I didn't every say anything about becoming a better chef... but you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........

Perhaps, but here is some verbiage taken from the Korin website talking about one of their lesser $1000 knives, "Used only by the most skilled master chefs in Japan, the single-edged kiritsuke requires an accomplished technique and talent to use effectively, making ownership of this knife a symbol of status and prestige for top Japanese chefs. So you have to be especially skilled to realize the value of such an instrument, and it is a status symbol. As alluded to previously, I suspect many knives like the kiritsuke are owned by people who would find the difference between it and the $89 Global to be meaningless, but they got one! Now if we are only talking about knives that are the most artistic, best designed, best made, best materials, and don't really care if it ever sees an onion, then let's explore that. I am sure there are some really far out pieces around. I was looking at this from a more practical viewpoint, however, as the main thrust of this website is switchblade knives whose true utility is questionable, let's open it up. Let's have pictures and descriptions of what you have found.

User avatar
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder
Posts: 8363
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 7:41 pm
Location: Fresno-by-the-Sea

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby JerrBear » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 pm

roran1234 wrote: you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........

Would you please to explain what one can do with a $3000 Korin that can't be done equally well with an $89 Global G-2?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?

User avatar
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority
Posts: 25709
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 10:07 am
Location: Live Free or Die
Contact:

Re: best knives in the world?

Postby Vagrant » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:20 pm

JerrBear wrote:
roran1234 wrote: you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........

Would you please to explain what one can do with a $3000 Korin that can't be done equally well with an $89 Global G-2?

Full agreement. Beyond a certain point, you are paying for artistry and esthetics NOT practiaclity :idea:
An M-16 is "nicer" and more accurate than an AK BUT, the AK is more powerful and FAR more reliable :!: [And, costs FAR less] :wink:


Return to “Professional kitchen knives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest