Sharpening

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fredom Lover

Sharpening

Post by Fredom Lover »

Hi,
I need to know the best way for a non-professional to sharpen kitchen knives. Some of my knives will not sharpen with a steel. Need another method. Don’t like using semi sharp knives.
whippersnapper

Re: Sharpening

Post by whippersnapper »

Probably something like a Lansky sharpener for begginers. Most every other way takes alot of practice.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

look up how to sharpen on you tube, there are many videos on this subject, I use a wet stone, just saying that you can not sharpen a knife with just a sharpening steel, just takes a little practice
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Look up DMT Diamond Stones - I used to use them back in the day when I was a ski coach sharpening the edges on skis, in recent years I've been using them to sharpen the few Victorinox I carry and they work like a charm just make sure to keep 'em wet when you use them!
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm Look up DMT Diamond Stones - I used to use them back in the day when I was a ski coach sharpening the edges on skis, in recent years I've been using them to sharpen the few Victorinox I carry and they work like a charm just make sure to keep 'em wet when you use them!

i used to work across the street from DMT in Marlboro, they woudn't sell to me, didn't want take from there customers
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

TRYKER wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 pm
Luke_of_Mass wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm Look up DMT Diamond Stones - I used to use them back in the day when I was a ski coach sharpening the edges on skis, in recent years I've been using them to sharpen the few Victorinox I carry and they work like a charm just make sure to keep 'em wet when you use them!

i used to work across the street from DMT in Marlboro, they woudn't sell to me, didn't want take from there customers
That doesn't quite add up unless maybe they only wholesale to retailers but in any case you can get them from ski tuning outlets all over, that's where I got mine.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:42 pm
TRYKER wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 pm

That doesn't quite add up unless maybe they only wholesale to retailers but in any case you can get them from ski tuning outlets all over, that's where I got mine.
thats kinda what i was sayin
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I use a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. These employ both fine and extra-fine ceramic triangle rods. They run about $75-80 and last forever. You can use Comet and water to clean the metal from the sticks or find a "Supereaser" to scrub them clean without using water.

Works for me.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

^^^this^^^

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a very good product for keeping your knives sharp, provided that the existing edge angles on your knives fall into the range that it can handle.
If they don't or your knives are extremely blunt i would recommend to also invest in a pair of CBN or diamond rods for it, so you can much more easily reprofile and remove edge damage than with the ceramic rods alone.

The cleaning part already mentioned by Fishtail Picklock is also very important to keep the ceramic rods in optimal cutting condition, as once the surfaces fill up with metal particles they will slowly stop working as they should.
I use my ceramic rods with a light covering of WD40 oil which will prohibit the adhering of metal particles to the ceramic surfaces, so you can just wipe them off with a piece of kitchen towel once you're done sharpening.

Another thing you might consider is to destress the edge before you start sharpening by pulling the old edge a few times very lightly across the surface of a ceramic rod, like you're cutting into it.
This removes only very little steel from the apex, but makes sure that the new edge will be made from fresh steel.
This often overlooked part will benefit the edge holding of your new edge.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Good tips kwackster!