Got me a new gun

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Claudester

Got me a new gun

Post by Claudester »

Never had a .38 special so last week I picked this one up in trade. Boy, she nice in the hand. The guy I got it from had just bought it new and didn't care for it. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
ILikeStilettos

Re: Got me a new gun

Post by ILikeStilettos »

You guys and your wheel guns ...
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Nice looking piece Steve, Speer makes a 135 gr HP+P that works real well in those!
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

What's not to like about that one?? Looks like a Model 10. Very nice piece.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Hope you got like you stole it!
2024 candidate for president
sammy the blade

I prefer autos, the ammo is cheaper and in most cases you have more rounds. Smith and Wesson is an expensive wheel gun and if you got it at a good price you didn't go wrong!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice one!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I'm no expert on firearms but you got yourself a winner right there.
Looks like a Model 10 which unless I am completely off base here the Smith & Wesson Model 10 has more variances than any other gun in the world.
Having the SPL.+P stamp reveals this is a modern version however there is a lot of speculation and rumors that I never follow.
First of all the Model 10 is a robust revolver and extremely reliable.

Again the talk may involve the "K" frame vs the "L" frame and understand (please correct me if I'm wrong somebody) both are capable of handling the +P ammunition it's just that the "K" frame was heavier built but at this early stage was not always referred to as K or L so much as it is today.

My dad had a lightweight Model 10 from apprx 1971 and his not only performed flawlessly over four decades it was dead accurate at 50 to 100 feet.
Depending on ammo and a keen eye it may have reached out further.

All in all the Model 10 Smitty is one of the finest handguns ever to grace God's green earth.

Wheel guns? Damn right Big Dave my friend, most instructors and even combat vets will tell you a wheel gun has a far less chance of failing at a given moment.
I too like my Sig P220 but I would prefer a woman have a wheel gun for home protection than even the finest auto loader.
Even a misfire from a dead round only means an extra trigger pull where a failed round with an auto requires your other hand....oopsie, too late

These odds are insane but there is still that odd that I am not willing to take.

Bottom line here- Claudster you kicked serious rump my good Sir. You have a heavy barrel Model 10 with Plus P capability and exquisite trigger pull.
I raise my glass to you my friend for your new purchase. Blued (another fave) and walnut grips.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Yup! a model 10-14 and it was mfg. just this last November. I traded it for a Auto-Ordnance 1911A .45 that I got in a trade for some old animal traps I didn't need any longer. I won big time on the deal. I like all guns, revolvers or pistols and it all depends on what I want to do with it. Sometimes I carry a wheel and other times I have my bodyguard .380. Two of my favorite guns that I love to just shoot are the Canik 9TPSA 9mm and a Keltec 30PMR 22mag. There both great guns.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
sammy the blade

I bought a 500 rd. Brick of 22 today and they had some 22 magnum for $15.99 for 50 rds. $40 got the 22. That keltec is some expensive shootin, especially with that 30rd mag but I bet it's a hoot!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

sammy the blade wrote:I bought a 500 rd. Brick of 22 today and they had some 22 magnum for $15.99 for 50 rds. $40 got the 22. That keltec is some expensive shootin, especially with that 30rd mag but I bet it's a hoot!
Ya, It's a blast to shoot and pretty accurate at that. I like the 22 mag round. I have several rifles in it that I use for coons and fox. The ammo is high now for it but years ago I bought a lot of it so I don't feel the pain at the store now.
sammy the blade

Steve, I like stocken up too! That's why I bought the brick of 22. You never know when stuff will get scares again and go through the roof like 22 has. I don't shoot 22 much but I'll be startin my boy on it soon. He turns 6 on the 23 this month and he's gettin a little cricket 22 for his birthday. Hope I don't get winged!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

You'll teach him right!!! I remember my first gun, A Remington nylon 66 .22. My Dad bought for me for that Christmas and my Mom didn't want me to ever have a gun cause she lost two brothers in accidents. One shot himself while cleaning his gun and the other was shot by someone else with a bow. I did
get the gun that Christmas though.
Jaysin

Post by Jaysin »

I do like a 38 carry one a lot when i dont feel the need for a auto loader Enjoy
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

In Texas when the Concealed Handgun Permit first came out, you had to carry what you took the proficiency exam with unless you use an auto in the class, then you can carry the revolver. I always took it with an auto as it allowed you to carry a revolver as well. It wasn't that way for folks that took it with a revolver. They changed it no and you can do any combination and carry any gun you want as long as it is safe. I carry a S&W Model 36. The size is convenient and easy to hide. We can carry open but I don't do that. Open carry has been legal since last September and I have never seen anyone open carry. Folks just don't do it much I guess.

Bruce