Identification of Old Knife Needed

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
waynes124

Identification of Old Knife Needed

Post by waynes124 »

Hello gentlemen,
Once again I need your help in identifying a very old knife I recently picked up. It measures 9 inches overall with a 4-3/4 inch blade. The handle is possibly ivory but probably bone. There are no markings on the knife. At first glance, it looks home made. The sheath could be leather or some other animal skin but it is quite soft. Inside the sheath is a metal sleeve that the blade slips into. The old stitching appears to be a factory job but I suppose could be done by hand. What baffles me is the rectangular hole cut into the blade about an inch from the tip. Could this hole be for pulling cording or something simular back up through the hole. Thinking along those lines, I was wondering if it could be an old trappers knife or perhaps Eskimo. It is a very heavy, well made, knife....around 12 oz. The blade appears to be "leaded" into the handle no doubt adding to the weight. The blade has never been sharpened or cleaned and is sharp on both top and bottom edge much like a dagger. It's hard for me to guess the age of this knife. It certainly appears to be well over 100 yrs old but could be from as far back as the whaling days. I am considering selling the knife but want to get a lot more info on it first. Anybody have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
I have included 3 pictures but can send more if needed.
Thank you
Wayne
Attachments
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG (65.94 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6623.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
IMG_6622.JPG
IMG_6622.JPG (89.95 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
TRYKER

Re: Identification of Old Knife Needed

Post by TRYKER »

looks like it may be swedish, though i'm lost as to the cut out on the front of the blade
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

No clue. The front looks like a mending tool for fishnets.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
ron408

Post by ron408 »

Looks like a net repair tool to me,but with a sharp blade may do more cutting than mending?