Spring Turkey Hunt

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
redletterdays

Spring Turkey Hunt

Post by redletterdays »

Hey Guys,

This will be me first year hunting for gobblers. I am the Northern end of Ontario and was wondering if any of you guys had any tips for me? Will be hunting with a WIN 12

Thanks
whippersnapper

Re: Spring Turkey Hunt

Post by whippersnapper »

Not sure I have any tips but I have killed a few turkeys. I would say to atleast buy a call or two and watch a video to learn how to use them. I have also used an inflatable decoy with good success. Common sense here, but make sure and shoot your gun with turkey loads to check pattern to determine the range you can shoot. Try to hunt land that doesn't have alot of other hunters. Turkeys can be dumb, but learn quick. It's much easier killing the dumb ones.

My first year I Turkey hunted I tried to hunt them like deer. By patterning them and trying to figure out where they were going to fly down, or wait on a trail to intercept them. Even though I knew the woods, I didn't have much luck the first couple days. I finally broke down and bought a call, and the turkeys started coming to me.

One thing I learned is don't call too much. If you hear a gobble, the tom probably heard you. Stay still and quiet and he will probably check you out eventually.

One big bird I hunted a few years ago always seemed to go the wrong way. I guess he expected the hen(me) to chase him. After a couple days of getting skunked I tried the opposite. I called and then moved further away. He gobbled, I called again, and moved further yet away. I guess he didn't like the fact that the hen (me) was playing hard to get and decided he better chase me down. I barely got sat down when I spotted him coming over the hill. Bang...The end.

Good luck, be safe and have fun.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

We are all pretty much familiar with the store bought variety, but how do those wild birds compare in taste and texture?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not as good as a Butterball. :lol: imo. Don't get me wrong, flavor is good but many more bones (especially in the legs), or seems like it because they are not big ol lazy yard birds :lol: . The wild bird always tasted drier when roasted no matter how much I basted. The last couple I did in a bag were better. I have never deep fried one.

I always enjoyed them more than the rest of the family.

I haven't Turkey hunted in a few years. Got it out of my system, I guess.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Whipper is the local expert but I have friends that have shared a little secret.
Not only are turkey calls effective but other small animal calls can work as well. Be certain they are not "distress": calls but small animal calls(non predator) can create a "comfort" zone and turkeys being a curious sort will come in not just to check the situation but they eat the same thing :idea:
This works around oak trees and grain fields.

Again Whipper will have to confirm this.

Turkeys they say are stupid....I disagree. I have seen many a bird in my neck of the woods and it's all about strategy,luck and timing.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

i am by no means an expert ,,,i use a bow to hunt them , pick em off rite of my fence i the backyard ... they like it under the canopy f oak and pine trees here. seems one is always on lookout ? so i dont think there as stupid as they look ? as for flavor ,,,,,not that great ! you are what you eat and acorns are not that great :wink:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Not trying to sound like Euell Gibbons here but in Missouri oaks and hickories are the dominant trees and I must say hickory nuts are delicious.
The shell is hard as iron but the nut meat is so darn tasty.
You are right about acorns,the ones I ate were quite bitter buts some are better than others.

The few times I have had wild turkey I enjoyed it. One year my brother fried his and it was very good.
Some day I want to try pheasant,I hear it is wonderful. Anyone here had it?
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Euell Gibbons :lol: i aint heard that name in eons it seems .... pheasant is a more pleasant than our wild turkeys ....and i dont mean the kind in the bottle 8) we have rabbit here also ,,,but i cant bring myself ta eat them :?: that woul change real fast if i got real hungry , hahaha
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote:Not trying to sound like Euell Gibbons here but in Missouri oaks and hickories are the dominant trees and I must say hickory nuts are delicious.
The shell is hard as iron but the nut meat is so darn tasty.
You are right about acorns,the ones I ate were quite bitter buts some are better than others.

The few times I have had wild turkey I enjoyed it. One year my brother fried his and it was very good.
Some day I want to try pheasant,I hear it is wonderful. Anyone here had it?
Pheasant is awesome :!:
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Wild turkeys wont taste as good because in all our meats and 95% of our food in injected/added msg into. They purposely add solutions, with chemicals in them to make your brain think the food tastes better then it does! Its a shame. For a few month now i have been avoiding ALL msg added to food. i will say its been harder then i thought orginally. I never realized it was in so many things. Like i said 95% of any grocery store will have it. Sad day when we cant go to the store and just get FOOD.
novice

Post by novice »

Where I live they are so used to people a "hunt" would entail walking up to one and ringing its neck while its friends watch.

Then you could go ring one of theirs too. They literally stand out in the street and don't move when you drive by them.