Old School Boy Scout

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
AZKAHUNA

Old School Boy Scout

Post by AZKAHUNA »

Here's a blast from the past. 6.5" overall with a 2.5" blade, can opener, awl, screwdriver/bottle opener. Scales are in surprisingly good condition. Folding blade is chipped and scratched. Stamped "LF&C Universal". Crest says "Be Prepared". No idea what time period. Could be 30's or 40's. Any help?
Boy Scout.jpg
Boy Scout.jpg (218.72 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
Viking45

Re: Old School Boy Scout

Post by Viking45 »

I spoke with a buddy that knows a lot about Scout knives.
All he told me was this- (LF&C) Landers Frary and Clark made knives in the 1900's and some scout knives in the 1920's and early 30's.
He thinks they were made in Connecticut and they made other things such as flat ware and not much was known after WWII.

So I guess he's pretty darn close 8)

I did a search and found this- http://www.toaster.org/landers.html

Throughout the many years of its growth Landers had developed a conservative, intensely quality-minded image; here, it seemed, was a company so solidly rooted "it'll go on forever." So in 1950, when it announced the discontinuance of its cutlery division after eighty-four years of operation, the trade was shocked. Landers, they would tell you, acquired businesses--it didn't drop them.