Hit the lake today

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: Hit the lake today

Post by Tom19176 »

yes they apply no matter how they are caught. Thanks AL!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

That sucks, if the limit is only 3 thats like only 10 minutes of spear fishing.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
carvingknives

Post by carvingknives »

Wow, Nice catching :D..I really like fishing very much.. and no limitation to catch fish.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I went to the local lake last night and got 22 fat bluegills and three turtles! I almost always do catch and release so they all went back in the lake...Lots of large bass swiming but they were not biting as they are in spawn mode now.....One 4 pound large mouth grabbed a bluegill I was reeling in and for a moment I thought I was going to get the bass to shore as he held on to the bluegill for several feet!!!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sounds like it was a blast. 8)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Been to a few different lakes and caught over 200 bluegills, crappie, yellow perch and a few large mouth bass and trout, and several turtles including a couple snapping turtles like this one my friend took a picture of for me! This is a medium size one about 20" shell...Caught up to 33" shell ones ...
my turtle.jpg
my turtle.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 13859 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

When you hook one of those Snappers, do you just cut the line?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I release it a few different ways, the last being cutting the line...First I normally use thin wire fishing hooks for panfish and they will bend almost straight if you continue to us force. I also try to give the turtle some slack and they often dislogde the hook themselves...I also have forceps and can use them to relase the hook, but if all else fails I cut the line which of course is why you need an automatic knife to cut the line! In my state you can carry a switchblade for use while fishing, hunting and trapping...lol...a valid reason with these guys for sure!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I spent the better part of the last three days trout fishing at a stocked lake by my house.....The first day my son ( a senior in college) went with me and we both caught around 10 each...The second day I went with a NYPD officer I befriended and I got 25 and he got about 5...We both returned Monday and I got over 40 and he got 11! It seems the trout started to bite better a few days after being stocked! We kept a few to eat but released the rest...Fun stuff!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sounds like a good time 8)
Nemo Knives

Post by Nemo Knives »

Tom19176 wrote:Been to a few different lakes and caught over 200 bluegills, crappie, yellow perch and a few large mouth bass and trout, and several turtles including a couple snapping turtles like this one my friend took a picture of for me! This is a medium size one about 20" shell...Caught up to 33" shell ones ...
my turtle.jpg

I love snapping turtles. I used to have one as a pet until it got too big. Found him when he was the size of a quarter and gave him to the zoo when he weighed 37 pounds. Which is kind of big for a common snapper in captivity.

So my fishing story. Went to the river here yesterday and caught two rainbow trout. One 15 incher and one 17 incher. Man they taste good,but I missed the salmon run this year......Nemo
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The trout I caught taste good but I have to admit that since they are farm raised they have a bit of a bland taste to them. I have caught the farm ones that have been in the lake for a year and they taste much better!
Nemo Knives

Post by Nemo Knives »

The trout out of the Cowlitz River here are the best I have ever tasted. Almost that sweet lobster type taste. I also think the key is to throw them on ice as soon as you catch them. The one drawback is that the river has a 12 inch minimum on trout. So you may fish all day catch 15 fish and only be able to keep and eat one or two. So far my biggest trout was 18 inches,and it had alot of fight in it. There is nothing like standing by the river catching trout only to see a 3 foot salmon pop up next to your line....Nemo
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

There is an olde saying that goes something like this:

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I normally keep them alive on a stringer in the water until I am ready to leave the lake. I think the fact they eat those pellets for food in the trout farm effects their taste until they get to eat normal food. There is a three trout a day limit here for any size. This is only for the lakes with stocked trout in them....