Case knife Vs Barlow Knife

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

Case knife Vs Barlow Knife

Post by dark2023 »

Ok, can somone explain to me what a case knife and a barlow knife are, and how they differ

As far as I cna tell a case knife is any small folding knife, not even sure on barlow. I'm very confused.

Also, were do these names come from? Is a case knife a knife that comes in a little metal tin (a case)?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Chrisadamley

Re: Case knife Vs Barlow Knife

Post by Chrisadamley »

dark2023 wrote:Ok, can somone explain to me what a case knife and a barlow knife are, and how they differ

As far as I cna tell a case knife is any small folding knife, not even sure on barlow. I'm very confused.

Also, were do these names come from? Is a case knife a knife that comes in a little metal tin (a case)?
CASE is a brand name. They are arguably the most popular/collector brand there is. Barlow is also a brand name if im not mistaken.

I see barlow knvies at antique shops from time to time. They are often sold for cheap.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

So they're both brand names? Just wondering, because I've noticed case knives being mentioned in a lot of older books and stories. And I believe Tom Sawyer's sister offers him a Barlow knife if he'll attend church.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Case is a brand name...Barlow is a style. :D
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

How about a "Case" brand Barlow? 8)
I was going to post some pics of the different styles of pocket knives but there are too many.
Check this site out and on the left hand side is a list of all the basic styles of old school pocket knives.
The Trapper is my fave but don't confuse the Copperhead with the Trapper,they are similar but the Trapper is usually a bit larger and the handles have a different shape.
http://www.deadwoodknives.com/
Attachments
Case_Barlow.jpg
Case_Barlow.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 13647 times
Sheffield

Post by Sheffield »

It is remembered in a folk song -
Cotton Mill Girls.
Buckhorn handle and a Barlow Blade
best dam knife that was ever made
Ive been working all my life
and all I’ve got is a Barlow knife
Worked in a cotton mill all my life
Nothin’ to show but a Barlow knife
Barlow knife and a Barlow blade
Best ol’ knife that ever was made

The traditional blade types are still made in the UK in Sheffield by some of the old knife makers but only a few people still work in an industry which used to employ thousands. You can see some of the traditional types on http://www.sheffield-gb.com Some of the knife makers are now in their 70's and 80's and whilst they are not exactly going strong they are still manufacturing and using Victorian machinery and the old craft skills.