Forum newbie introduction

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
AutoMania

Forum newbie introduction

Post by AutoMania »

Hello all,

After visiting this great forum I decided to join! This is my first knife forum and first post on this forum.

Since I was a child I have always been fascinated with automatic knives. As a little boy (about 10 years old) my grandfather gave me a small white pearlex side opening auto (not a classic stiletto style). I thought it was the coolest thing. I don't know the manufacturer or the year the knife was made, but it was an older knife as I was given this in the late 60s and it had seen heavy use before I got it. For the next few years I used the knife a bit, and I remember the spring had gotten week. Sadly, my first auto was lost in later teenage years.

I guess my desire for collecting auto knives was always there but I managed to suppress it? :?

In 1979 I was in Tijuana Mexico and picked up an R Zafrilla INOX side opening auto made in Spain with a 3" blade and 8" total length. It had sat closed for over 30 years until I stumbled upon it earlier this year. I pushed the button and, bam, it snapped right open just like the day I bought it!

I guess the rediscovery of the Zafrilla kindled my interest in collecting because I decided to get into auto knife collecting this year (2012). My first two purchases were at a flea market. I got a little burned on 2 cheap autos because I didn't know what I was doing. :oops:

I have been absorbing information online for a while this year and have learned a bit more about automatic knives but so many of you are very knowledgeable and I would appreciate any info or tips you could share with me. I have found some reputable websites for automatic purchases. I am on a budget so I have bought a few nicer knives but nothing expensive like a Microtech. I think some knives (Benchmades, for example in particular) are a bit overpriced for me. Although I hope to one day own a Microtech auto.

I have a Piranha P1 in blue, an 11" white pearlex A Beltrame by SKM, an AKC Concord OTF and a number of cheaper OTFs and side openers. I know, generally, you get what you pay for.

Some of the Youtube videos I have seen on switchblade collections have blown me away. I have enjoyed some great Youtube reviews too.

I am particularly fond of Italian Stilettos and hope to increase my collection a little at a time. Please share your stories with me.

It's funny how as a child I was so interested in auto knives, then pushed the collecting bug out of my head for decades, only for the desire to be rekindled in my fifth decade in life! A desire never to be suppressed again! :)

Hope to hear from you all soon!

AM (AutoMania)
Last edited by AutoMania on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer just pushin a button
whippersnapper

Re: Forum newbie introduction

Post by whippersnapper »

Welcome aboard AM!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

You are most welcome to join the fun :!:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. AutoMania!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Welcome and you certainly came to the right place to be around others that share your passion for push button knives.
There is a search here but sometimes what we need to know is a bit more specific and there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folk here.
AutoMania

Post by AutoMania »

Viking45 wrote:Welcome and you certainly came to the right place to be around others that share your passion for push button knives.
I hear you, Viking. Some springs assisted knives are great, too. I like spring assist too and own a couple, but why go to the trouble when a button can do it, especially in this day and age? I mean, we went from manual roll up car windows to motorized car windows. We haven't ever done a spring assisted manual roll up car window...lol...just pressing a button seems more efficient and makes more sense, and bears the cool effect. I guess spring assist offers a bit of a safety feature in it's initial resistance, according to the legal powers that be. But come on, how many autos actually go off in people's pockets?

Legal carry does have it's merit, but, dog-gone-it, I'm a button pusher. 8)

and...laws are laws...

Thanks for the welcomes folks! Viking45, you gave me an idea for a signature...thanks!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome AutoMania. You're going to like it here. Just be fore warned that none here will be responsible your your addiction. :lol: :lol:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

WELCOME ABOARD !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
lars

Post by lars »

:D Welcome abord! You've joined a great forum.
bearrocco

Post by bearrocco »

Welcome , We need all the help we can get :D
CURIO & RELIC CLASS 3 FOREVER !!!!
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Welcome, and thanks for joining in> :D
Erik131065

Post by Erik131065 »

Welcome AM. I look forward to see the pics of that Spanish made switchblade.
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

Welcome! I also have started collecting later in life, I could think of worse ways endure mid-life issues. Have Fun!
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
AutoMania

Post by AutoMania »

Erik131065 wrote:Welcome AM. I look forward to see the pics of that Spanish made switchblade.
Hey Eric, I tried to upload an attachment pic of the Zafrilla but this site said the file size was too big: Max size 500 KiB. Does anyone know how to reduce the file size of a pic? Thanks, AM
AutoMania

Post by AutoMania »

Erik131065 wrote:Welcome AM. I look forward to see the pics of that Spanish made switchblade.

Sorry about image quality. Getting new camera soon. Here's the Spanish 1979 R Zafrilla w/ 3" blade:
DSCN1069.JPG
DSCN1069.JPG (54.58 KiB) Viewed 8761 times