This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Hello,
I am a new member who has been lurking on this great forum for a long time. The first SB I saw was a miniature keychain knife my brother found in the mid 1970s. The blade was about one-inch long, and although it was an Italian-style knife, it had a lever like the German springers. He later boasted that he sold the knife to a kid at school for seven bucks! I wish I had bought it.
In 1979 or 80, I was at my best friend’s house, and out of the blue, he said, “My dad has a switchblade.” He retrieved an 8-inch knife from his dad’s dresser drawer. I didn’t know anything about them at the time, but I do remember it was a picklock with a bayonet blade. It was probably Japanese made because the tang was stamped “stainless steel” and it had a bail on the end of the handle.
Anyway, I was fascinated by the knife and how pressing the button made a blade appear almost as if by magic. I couldn’t find a real switchblade, so I bought a switchblade comb. I later broke off the blade of an Imperial toothpick and converted the comb into a blade. My first real SB was a blue-handled Edgemaster bought in 1980 from a friend of my older brother. I was told it was bought by a high school student on a band trip to Europe. Not sure how that knife ended up in Europe, but I’m certain his story was true. A few years later, I bought several of the Edge Co. kits.
I’m a fan of all automatic knives, from the vintage Americans and Italians and the modern Microtech OTFs.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: New member

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. Panzerfaust!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome Panzerfaust. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Thanks guys. Vagrant, I noticed from lurking on here that you live in New Hampshire. I lived in Peterborough in 1984-86. I went to the flea market in Amherst every weekend. I did not see many switches but I still have a red-handled Edgemaster that I bought there in 1985. Glad to see you guys legalized autos. I went to a knife show in Milford, Conn., in 1985, and bought about a dozen autos, some of which I still own today.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

WELCOME!!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Welcome

Tom (L.A.W.S.)
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Howdy!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Welcome! I remember those stiletto sylte key chain with the lever releases. They were all over Europe in the 70s.....
lars

Post by lars »

Wellcome, Mr. Panzerfaust!
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Tom19176 wrote:Welcome! I remember those stiletto sylte key chain with the lever releases. They were all over Europe in the 70s.....
They must have vanished the following decade. I visited Europe in 86 and the only key chain stilettos I saw were the regular button release. I have one that I bought in Switzerland. When I asked the knife shop owner if he had any larger knives, he pulled a couple out of a drawer and said they had just been outlawed there. Go figure. Swiss soldiers take home their automatic rifles but are not allowed to have an automatic knife?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The [stupid] Swiss knife law, may be to "protect" sales of Swiss Army Knives :wink:
But the Swiss are DEAD SERIOUS, about "Their Right to Keep and Bear Arms"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nf1OgV449g
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Cool video! The rifle that the guy says was his father's is a K31. There are many of these on the US market right now and they are a bargain, although ammo is high. Most have a name tag under the buttplate of the soldier who owned them. As far as the stupid knife laws, they were probably passed for the same reasons we have stupid laws here.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Panzerfaust wrote:I couldn’t find a real switchblade, so I bought a switchblade comb. I later broke off the blade of an Imperial toothpick and converted the comb into a blade.
I did that too, only I used a non-serrated steak knife blade. Welcome :)
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
john

Post by john »

Hello and Welcome Panzerfaust ,
This is, "The web's most friendly community on knives and blades." Lot's of good people here and lot's of information and cool photos too.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed