A Bit Late To Be Called 'New'

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Shag

A Bit Late To Be Called 'New'

Post by Shag »

I just found this area, so I felt obligated to make a small post as I am a newer member here. I have posted over several of the the knife forums, so most of the regular crew already know me by now. 8)

I love data and information; which is why I have a collection of all the switchblade books I could find along with books on various other knives and several other areas of interest. For any hobby or area of interest, I always get reference materials. I have also branched out from books and have some CDs on switchblade knives and am currently tracking down some DVDs on them.

I am a very strong supporter of the authors who make the effort to publish a book for our VERY small fringe collecting group. The books aren't that expensive when you really sit down and think about the benefits and data you get from them. If we don't support the authors by buying their books, there will be no more forthcoming new reference books on the topic of switchblades. I've also made it a point of buying my books directly from the authors whenever possible.

I got into the hobby during the later 80's and early 90's. I had to stop being so active in it due to life circumstances and have slowly been getting back into it since 2008. A lot of the old original collectors and dealers would know me from back then as I was a real regular on the show circuit then as well.

I am a very easy-going guy to deal with, BUT if I buy something which is advertised as 'New" or "Like New", it had better be that! I am not sending 80% of the agreed price, so why am I being asked to accept 80% of 'New"?

I also tend to ask a LOT of questions and it's not because I am practicing my typing, it's because I am sincerely interested in the topic or item and want to get as much info as possible on it. I am eternally curious and love to learn new things, so you can never overwhelm me with too much information on a topic.

I am also a collector of a variety of cutlery: SAK, various German knives, Kukri, military knives and bayonets and all kinds of folders and fixed blades. I have also done an insane amount of study and research into sword canes and collect them as well.

I don't know if this is the "proper" way to introduce yourself, I didn't read the other posts, but everyone should have a good idea on what they can expect when dealing with me now. 8)

Lastly, you may have noticed that my definition of a 'small post' may be slightly askew from what is normally thought of. :P
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
lars

Re: A Bit Late To Be Called 'New'

Post by lars »

Welcome aboard, Shag!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Welcome!
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Howdy!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome, Shag. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. Shag!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
john

Post by john »

Hello and Welcome Shag,
It's never to late to say Hello. I'm glad you decided to become a forum member. There are a lot of creative and talented knife craftsmen here, knowledgeable collectors, and friendly people at TalkBlade. I'm friendly, but not very knowledgeable; I'm new to the world of knife collecting. I am addicted to Italian auto's and I don't mean cars. If you don't mind I may from time to time ask you for your advice/opinion as I may ask other forum members. I, and I'm sure other forum members, would like to see some of your favorite knives from your collection, so when you have a chance please post them, but only if you want to. I still haven't posted any photos of my favorites.
Again, Welcome to the forum,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

your manifesto of collector expectations is terrific. You are very welcome to this forum and hope to see more thought provoking posts.