NEW item: Classic Stiletto, by Due Buoi

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
panner

Re: NEW item: Classic Stiletto, by Due Buoi

Post by panner »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:Saw these at the Blade Show.
I was a little suprised that the price at the show was $80, thought it would be around the $60 shown here.
The ones that I saw were mostly solid black horn and I like a few srtreaks...no biggie but what really bothered me was that all the ones that I really looked at, which was probably four or five has sticky bolsters.
They didn't move back in line with the scales after releasing. So if you didn't "mess" with them and tried to fire it again the blade wasn't going to lock up. The bolster, on all the ones that I looked at, would remain in the position of releasing the blade.

I liked the looks and the feel but think that they should have worked out the issues with the bolsters before selling them. I looked at enough and all of them that I looked at had the same problem. Suprised that I haven't heard anyone else mention this.
Marko the Mad otter : Mine was tight when i received it but a drop of oil and firing it a few times and it worked just fine, personaly i was happy it was tight and not loose,if you had purchased straight from the Company you pay $60.00 for the knife and $20.00 for shipping grand total $80.00 heck the people at the show have to make a couple of bucks so $80.00 seems reasonable IMHOP :) :!:
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

The people selling at the show were from the company and I looked at about 5 of the knives and they all had the issue with the bolster.
Had they been selling them for $60 and tried to do something about the bolster I may have bought one but for what I saw I had to pass on it.

Glad that you were able to find a knife that you like and at a price that you were comfortable
with. :)
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Mine came today. Kind of ho-hum.

It had a nice bevel, the blade locked up well. The rotating bolster used to unlock the blade was loose, a bit too loose, but acceptable. A gentle tap on the pivot with brass tinking hammer should make that right if it ever bothers me too much. A minor peening adjustment.

The handle and bolsters were solid. The handle lock slid easily into place without binding. That action was about average for an Italian stiletto.

It's a nice knife, the price was okay, but I've seen AKC's and Frank B's equally as good.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Someone else has mentioned this.
Have you checked (even though you shouldn't have to) after cleaning it up? With a price that they charge which isn't much it is possible that the knife is good but still a little rough from being new. Some of the old posts here tell you how to clean out, or flush a knife and put a little light weight oil for some glide while it wears in, especially the thicker knives.
I use WD-40 and an air hose :lol: wipe it off, and lightly oil the mechanisms, and pivot first.
Leverlock switchblades
Markco the Mad otter

I was surprised that they didn't work out the problems with the bolsters before taking them to the Blade Show and I guess I am also a bit surprised that there hasnb't been more said about them here.
I guess maybe there isn't that much more to be said.
If they had worked right, I would have gotten one at the show but the price being the same at the show as the shipp-ed price didn't seem to make sense for a knife that didn't work 100% of the way that it should. I would not consider it as good as say a Frank B., I never had the problems with one of his as I saw with all of these at the show.
my $0.02.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
panner

Post by panner »

Marko : Hi! you will find more information on the DB 9" classic under the title Switchblade Knives,but what i'v heard and personaly experianced your decision not to purchase at the time was the right one.I would hope that Due BUOI would have holted all sales until they worked out the problems.
Markco the Mad otter

panner wrote:Marko : Hi! you will find more information on the DB 9" classic under the title Switchblade Knives,but what i'v heard and personaly experianced your decision not to purchase at the time was the right one.I would hope that Due BUOI would have holted all sales until they worked out the problems.
I was pretty bumbed when I saw fired them and found that there was the same problem and that they still brought them to something like the Blade Show.
The guy showing me the knife was nice but acted surprised...like he didn't know that every knife was bad.
I wanted to get one but....wasn't going to spend the money on something that wasn't right. And it still bugs me that they were selling them at the show for the same amount as they were shipping them for.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Markco the Mad otter

Never heard of anyone trying to copy these. Matter of fact, haven't heard anything about these for quite awhile.
I was wondering if they had worked out the bugs. I would have liked to get one if they ever produced them to work right.
If you found one and think the price is low, my guess would be that someone got it and it didn't meet their expectations and they just want to get rid of it.
Just a guess though.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
Markco the Mad otter wrote:Never heard of anyone trying to copy these. Matter of fact, haven't heard anything about these for quite awhile.
I was wondering if they had worked out the bugs. I would have liked to get one if they ever produced them to work right.
The "youth bugs" are now worked out, so what you would get now is (in my opinion, but I'm affiliated with the producer) an high quality knife. If someone has one of the latest DueBuoi Forged Stiletto runs, maybe can report.

Cheers,
M.
Markco the Mad otter

Well, thanks for the update. I would like to see and hear all about the new and improved model.
Maybe this one that LyleNesbitt was talking about is the very thing.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:Never heard of anyone trying to copy these. Matter of fact, haven't heard anything about these for quite awhile.
If you found one and think the price is low, my guess would be that someone got it and it didn't meet their expectations and they just want to get rid of it.
Just a guess though.
Ditto.
And thank you also Arthas
Leverlock switchblades
panner

Post by panner »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:Well, thanks for the update. I would like to see and hear all about the new and improved model.
Maybe this one that LyleNesbitt was talking about is the very thing.
:) :!: Sure would be nice to here from someone with one of the newer models,i still have one of the originals everthing works just fine except for the blade peeking just a bit shouldn't really bother me but it does :( :!:
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

When I was at Vittorio's shop, i did see the classic. the pics didn't save on the camera, for some reason. I was not too impressed with the classic, because of the loose swivel bolster. However, he said it needed a slight tinkering. Chances are, the original display of these at the bladeshow, were a matter of excitement -wanting to get the work out to those to know what to expect in the future. The forged stilettos they produce are absolutely perfect. I've read of one that was received which had a tight firing button, which could have been due to swelling/shrinkage of natural material (which is an unfortunate occurrence, even with stabillized materials). Even still, those that own a forged stiletto can confirm its beefy beauty. I look forward to this year's BladeShow, to see all sorts of Italian autos, including the improved classic from Due Buoi. I am currently planning on picking up one of their forged leverlocks (i love the Oliver).
Additionally, the price on the lowest priced forged stilettos at DueBuoi.com, has just gone up $20. Nevertheless, the forged stiletto is still the best made 9" stiletto in the world! (IMO)
"Everyone is your neighbor."
john

Post by john »

Hi Everyone,
Yesterday I send Due Buoi an email inquiring about the Classic Stiletto and the Forged Stiletto and here's a part his reply:
Anyway Classic is not available anymore.
Best regards
Vittorio DUE BUOI ITALY company president and owner
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Markco the Mad otter

arthas wrote:Hello!
The "youth bugs" are now worked out, so what you would get now is (in my opinion, but I'm affiliated with the producer) an high quality knife. If someone has one of the latest DueBuoi Forged Stiletto runs, maybe can report.

Cheers,
M.
Sounds like youth bugs matured and became adult bugs.

Oh well, maybe next time.
Ciao
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!