Hello new guy ordering a Mikov w/questions

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wild zebra

Hello new guy ordering a Mikov w/questions

Post by wild zebra »

Hello, how's it going?? How about a little about how I got here. Well I was sitting thinking about the switchblades I had many, many years ago. And got to thinking it would be nice to have another. I have a few cool knives that I really enjoy one being a fixed blade my step dad made me, anyway some pics later. I'm like alot a guys my Dad bought me a buck 110 when I was a kid so I've always had an affection for the working of a nice knife. Ugh I'm rambling, as a hobby I work on guitars, do electronics (build stompboxes for guitar and also analog synthesizers). So I like to build stuff. Well I went to the flea market and bought a cheap Taiwan Stiletto the one that has "stiletto" engraved on it. You know not bad to see the action of a stiletto and just want to make you want a better one. So I got to searching on the net and that led me to Mikov a,and here and wanting to build one, thought that would be awesome.

Sooooooo,
Questions,
What is the preferred way to order?? I have a paypal account, but it says add 7 percent and auto knives are illegal purchase through paypal, but this is a kit. I just thought paypal would be the easiest.

Will someone pm me the instruction on putting them together?

I'm going to get the 241 NK3 the one with the bottle opener and can opener also w/ utility bade (are their different instructions?) I plan on taking it to my buds guitar shop thinking maybe Koa or some nice curly maple scales)

So any other advice, experiences, opinions would be greatly appreciated.
~Chad

Re: Hello new guy ordering a Mikov w/questions

Post by ~Chad »

auto knives are illegal purchase through paypal??? oops. I've probably bought over 50 using paypal.

You may want to consult with tanto- he's a member here and sells mikovs.

Welcome to talkblade :)
redeye

Post by redeye »

welcome to the forum. if ya do not mention any specific item that even sounds like switchblade you will be ok with the ppal just use item numbers and such --no descriptives i do it all the time
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Welcome aboard. Just order the knife, follow tantos instructions, sit back, relax and enjoy your knife when it comes.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

ditto what the rest said, and welcome to the forum

tryker
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

so does he send instructions?? It says he doesn't, I'm pretty confident I can put this thing together, but you know I like to be prepared. I've been searching alot of posts. Hell I've never peened anything in my life, but if it's anything like electronics I'm sure I'll be addicted in no time.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

ohh my post moved?? It doesn't seem appropriate in this section but you guys are the boss. I know it says new users introduce yourself here but it's more than an introduction it also involves specific questions about a product. Well anyway I'll just order it and see what happens. I just saw alot of posts asking for instructions and saw alot of replies like, check your p.m. and whats your e-mail so it seems like there is some sort of documentation I can mull over while I wait. I saw the one pdf but to me it's more about making your scales and it doesn't really give you any insight into assembly.
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

You wouldn't rather just order one that's already assembled?
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Nah, plus I wouldn't be able to get what I want for the price I would pay for a kit. I just paid for one. I bought the NK3 with utility blade. I don't know why I just wanted a utility blade and I kinda like the idea of having the can/bottle opener. It was 80 sans scales and the cocobolo with reg. blade was 80. So about the same. I really didn't want to spend that much on my first knife kit. But with the experience of putting it together it will be something that I can appreciate alittle more than just buying one complete. I really want a leverlock with shellpuller. Hope it goes together well, as I said my buddy own a guitar restoration shop and here in ohio is one of the largest importers of Koa would I know he has scraps around so it that would be a prob and tons of wood working tools to bout. So I guess I'm plunging in. Maybe if it goes well leverletto with curly maple??
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I think this will show you how to put it together...
http://www.mikovknives.com/Images/mikovkit.pdf
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Nope. I've seen that one thats the one I was referring to when I said it give you more of an example of making the scales and then it just says put the knife together and voila it's finished. I'm more concerned with the actual assembly. You know maybe some technique tips, How tight to make the pivot pin, peening the pins, etc.
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

wild zebra wrote:Nope. I've seen that one thats the one I was referring to when I said it give you more of an example of making the scales and then it just says put the knife together and voila it's finished. I'm more concerned with the actual assembly. You know maybe some technique tips, How tight to make the pivot pin, peening the pins, etc.
To the best of my knowledge ,that's the only one available .once you get the kit in hand you'll see that it pretty simple and straight forward. As far as the pivot pin goes , you do it a little at a time. peen some ,check it for wobble , blade play ,etc. just go slow and easy.
Same with peening the scales ,tap the pins gently.
When you get it and start putting it together ,feel free to ask for help if you run into a snag. It's one of theose things that is actually easier to do than to explain. :wink:
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Thanks, sorry for all the questions and demands I just figure I have too weeks till it gets here so I like to read and prepare myself before a project. I'm sure when I get it it'll all seem very logical. Well I'll post pics in a couple of weeks of the finished product.

thanks take care