New User

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Patrick

New User

Post by Patrick »

New here. A bit of personal history regarding my fascination with switchblades. They were illegal by the time I was born, so where and while I was growing up were extremely rare to come across. This added to their allure and mystique. Movies and tv shows depicting their usage, the rare sightings, much less handling of an actual switchblade, and the rumours that circulated among my peer group that there existed such a thing as an OTF switchblade added to the general mystique until they achieved a near mythical status for me. I couldn't get my hands on one though. They were simply not to be found. Not for lack of trying though. In the late sixties/early seventies I got snookered into buying at least a couple of what I thought were switchblades, purchasing by mail order what was described as Italian stilettos from ads in the back of magazines such as Popular Mechanics, Field and Stream, etc. Leaving out some relevant details and pertinent incidents for the sake of brevity, I now fast forward to the eighties and the Edge Company kits. I partially quenched my lust for spring steel. I completely missed out on Crowley Cutlery though.Then into the nineties and I discovered the revelation that was The Newsletter. It opened up an entirely fascinating world of knowledge for me. Everything I could possibly ever want to know about automatic knives, and then some. I absorbed it like a sponge. I have even retained some of that knowledge and still have my original copies of The Newsletter if I ever need a refresher course. I bought the Myers book, was connected with sellers and got a few nice pieces. Fast forward to the present and switchblades are now legal in my state and many others. Here's a couple of questions I ponder on; 1: Does the current legality of switchblade knives have a negative effect on the value of antique and vintage switchblades? 2: Does the contemporary manufacturing of Italian picklocks with the tang stamps Mauro Mario and Latama have an effect on the value of the original vintage ones from the fifties? Finally, does anyone feel that part of the allure of switchblades was their illegality, and that something was lost in the change of their legal status?
whippersnapper

Re: New User

Post by whippersnapper »

Hi Patrick...Welcome aboard!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Patrick, welcome. Great history & questions. I often wonder also, that if they can be purchased at Walmart or the corner gas station, what will happen to their value and mystique? Lots of questions to be asked and lots to learn...welcome again!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
lance

Post by lance »

Welcome from n.e. ohio
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Welcome aboard, Patrick!

As to your questions 1 and 2, based on similar situations in other areas of collectibles, I believe these developments cannot help to increase the value of relevant switches. How much they have hurt is a question for others to answer as I don't actively follow the market these days. As to 3, forbidden fruit has always attracted people, so less forbidden = less demand.

Bear in mind, this is a hobby, not an investment.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

WELCOME FROM MASS !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Welcome, FNG. Send me your email in a PM and I wil send you some reference materials.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Welcome from Indiana
2024 candidate for president
rock-n-roll$$$$$$