Walt's Latama 11" Classic Bayonet blade Primo B&W horn

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ljerr2

Walt's Latama 11" Classic Bayonet blade Primo B&W horn

Post by ljerr2 »

I got several of these and decided to let one of them go. This is one of the recent releases. I bought it direct and then sent it to Bill D to have it polished and tweaked a bit, so it is a pretty nice piece. Please check out the pics.
Selling it at a loss for only $300 shipped.
IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
IMG_3200.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3199.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Last edited by ljerr2 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maltese flatguard

Re: Walt's Latama 11" Classic Bayonet blade Primo B&W horn

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Wait...it was a brand new Walt’s knife but you had to have it worked on? Why?
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Personal preference regarding polishing, bolster alignment with liners, etc. I'm picky! :)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I’ve got a Walt’s Latama with one very high pin. Very frustrating for the price I paid but not worth sending to anyone for repair. Unfortunately, just because you pay a lot for a new Latama it sure doesn’t mean it’s going to be perfect.
Maltese flatguard

portlandmike wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:17 am I’ve got a Walt’s Latama with one very high pin. Very frustrating for the price I paid but not worth sending to anyone for repair. Unfortunately, just because you pay a lot for a new Latama it sure doesn’t mean it’s going to be perfect.
I agree Mike. You’re paying a premium for a supposed high dollar made knife when all you’re really getting a Frank B.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Walt does his best to have these made as nicely as he can.
As with any hand assembled knife, things can be missed. I do know that Walt takes customer service very seriously.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm Walt does his best to have these made as nicely as he can.
As with any hand assembled knife, things can be missed. I do know that Walt takes customer service very seriously.
Have you had to rework many Walt’s knives?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, Charley. They are all perfect. Now, go away.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Walt does the right thing by taking customer service seriously. Especially when selling knives like this they will never be all perfect. Of course perfect is in the eye of the beholder but there are obvious (and documented) issues to look out for especially in recent runs. It's a bummer but there's not a ton of control when you've got senior citizens filling orders for you overseas. There will be issues that make a $280 price tag hard to justify at times, but Walt makes up for it with mostly pretty good customer service. With that said, I'll never mail-order any pieces from him ever again and anything I spend that kind of money on that's new will have to be seen, inspected, and purchased in person. Or perhaps from a fellow collector I've done business with previously. Luckily I live close enough to attend shows Walt sets up at. Others aren't so lucky. Be prepared for surprises with this type of knife in general is a pretty good rule to go by in my opinion.
Attachments
Resized_20181018_042242_zpsvvvcwole.jpg
Resized_20181018_042242_zpsvvvcwole.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
Resized_20181018_042200_zpsbbfxmrym.jpg
Resized_20181018_042200_zpsbbfxmrym.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
CAM02996_zpstghbsya2.jpg
CAM02996_zpstghbsya2.jpg (11.84 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Hard to believe they missed a pin that high.
2024 candidate for president
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

sammy the blade wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:39 pm Hard to believe they missed a pin that high.
Yeah, I know what you mean. And that safety in the pic I posted. And the peek. The majority of them aren't like this. But for the lemons it seems someone will always make an excuse for it, and it's unlikely this will ever really change. Just gotta look real close at what you buy I suppose :|

With that said most of Walt's stuff is the best there is out there and I heard a rumor about some small picklocks or even swing guards (!!) coming in the next year or so which I plan on buying hopefully in Mystic next April.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

I've owned a number of these 11's in my collection and as Bill D noted with any hand-made production knife, perfection is not likely. However, I still love these knives. I've gotten some that are excellent as-is and a few that could use some small tweaks. Anyway - this is a for sale posting.................and the knife shown is very nice and is for sale! :)
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

bump-lowered price a little bit.