Heads Up: AGA Flatguards back in stock

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Corvus

Heads Up: AGA Flatguards back in stock

Post by Corvus »

No mention of Renzo P this time. FWIW, these look nice and straight. There were a few real bananas in the last (2016) run.

https://www.3knives.com/en/category/117 ... klock.html
thom

Re: Heads Up: AGA Flatguards back in stock

Post by thom »

I am looking for a Renzo P. from the 2016 run. If you have one or know of one I am very interested. PM me with info.
Thanks,
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

They offered Renzo Pascotto "stamped" (etched-lasered) pieces in 2016? I had grabbed an A.G.A. Campolin, but saw no Renzo Pascotto's.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

And...they're here! Grabbed one in Ebony Wood. Everything you would have expected from the 2016 run, but surprisingly, this one is not numbered...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Nice! I keep trying to resist buying one in dark horn................
K1111

Post by K1111 »

Me too
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Great pics, Chris.

Mine arrived yesterday. Fastest turnaround from Austria yet.

There are subtle differences between my 2016 and the new 2019, as one would expect.

The front bolster on the '19 is much more refined in shape and finish. My '16 bolster has sharp edges, while the '19 is nicely rounded; a big improvement!

The blade grind on the '19 wanders a bit compared to the '16, and the finish is a little uneven, but it has a needle-sharp point, so that's a plus.

The date stamp on mine was an unreadable black smear, but I hit it with a little silver polish on a Q-tip and it cleaned right up.

Both knives are nice and straight, though I've seen a few (IMO, objectionable) banana curves in the '16 batch (as well as the various AGA 10" knives for that matter, but that's a pet peeve of mine).

Both knives have great action, sit deep, and lock-up tight with zero play in any direction.

All in all they're very solidly built (heavy!) elegant knives that, IMO, come pretty close to the AGA ten inchers in quality.

Sorry for the crummy pic, but Chris already has it covered from all the right angles.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Rick! You grabbed a beauty there! I'm going to have to place my new one closer to my 2016 to look closer. You have a really great eye for the differences you noticed. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Both beautiful knives.
If I could guarantee I'd get one with the horn coloration shown above I would have no more will power to resist................ :)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

ljerr2 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 am Both beautiful knives.
If I could guarantee I'd get one with the horn coloration shown above I would have no more will power to resist................ :)
Hi Jerrod...exactly why I decided to go with an Ebony Wood piece this year. I knew it was black :lol:

ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Yep - kind of hoping I'd be able to see a pic of the actual knife I'd be getting! Maybe Corvus will sell me his? :)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Yeah, I wish 3Knives would provide individual pics of their knives like Walt does. It's a lot of extra work, but I'd be happy to pay a reasonable premium for the opportunity to pick a particular knife out of a lineup. And not just for the aesthetics of the scale material but also for straightness, deep-seating and grind symmetry, etc. OTOH, there's something to be said for the impartial luck-of-the-draw approach - every customer has an equal shot at the most desirable pieces from the first one sold to the last one on the shelf.
thom

Post by thom »

I have mine ordered. Hope I get at least as horn good. Will post pictures here when I receive.
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 pm I have mine ordered. Hope I get at least as horn good. Will post pictures here when I receive.
Thom
Gee Thom, I had you figured for that genuine Mother Of Pearl piece that sold out quick! :) Looking forward to seeing yours.

thom

Post by thom »

I thought about it. Went to look again and they were sold out. Saved me $300.

That is strange, limited edition, but no numbering. Anyone know how many of each? Couldn't have been many MOP's.