hooker blades???

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Re: hooker blades???

Post by omega »

thom wrote:Omega, You got your hair cut
LOL, no. It's been this length for years. The old avatar of that guy in a wig with a dress was scrounged from somewhere on the net.

In the bad old days, with enforcement against auto sellers being what it was, one did what they had to to protect their true identities. Now, in Kansas (and Florida where I'm going), laws have changed, decriminalizing our hobby. Importation remains a problem on a federal level, but since I'm just a lowly collector these days and only buy from domestic sources, its no longer a problem for me.

What is a problem is the states that are now trying to extract sales taxes on small internet merchants and even ebay sellers. In Kansas, that stands to drive up the cost of mail-order good of ALL types to be taxed at TEN PERCENT! I already buy alot of stuff off Amazon and feel the hit there. Soon Amazon's Marketplace Sellers are going to be faced with the same crap the ebay sellers stand to face if this thing passes.

WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF, WE ALL NEED TO CONTACT OUR STATE AND LOCAL ELECTED OFFICIALS AND BITCH LIKE MAD!
thom

Post by thom »

Hey Chris, I see your new address is in FLA. Is that in the Keys? Can I come visit? lol. How is the wife, and you?
Thom
thom

Post by thom »

I just looked up where that is. WOW!!! How did you manage that? Do you need a caretaker? lol Can you find work there? Can I find work there? Always wanted to live in the Keys. Really jealous.
Thom
omega

Post by omega »

Hey Thom!

Always good to hear from you. For the moment, I'm still just outside Kansas City, but within a couple of weeks the Florida move will be complete.

I left KC in 1986 and moved to the keys, buying a home on Big Pine Key which is 30 miles NE of Key West. I returned to KC in 1998 after a series of job-related changes I didn't care for, as well as the desire to be near my parents in their elder years.

The opportunity to return to Florida is something that arose unexpectedly due to a series of personal changes that required that I rethink my happiness. There's an entire 7-page thread on that in the off topic section that you can read if you're really curious.

Employment there is really weird. I was fortunate in that at the time, I worked for a national firm that needed a new manager in their Key West office. All I had to do was agree to a raise, a promotion and the company-paid transfer. It worked out well and led me places I never would have seen otherwise.

As for everyone else, you're either retired or a slave in the service industries, or both. The cost of living is high, housing is expensive, plus acceptance by the existing locals is a process that sometimes takes years. Many have followed their dreams there, only to leave broke and jobless in a pretty short period of time. There's a process there called "The Bubba System," wherein to get anything accomplished you've got to be pretty well wired into all sorts of corrupt, weird or heavily monied folks. Key West has always been so, but with the passage of time, all those practices spread to the rest of Monroe County.

Its a georgeous place to live, at least until a hurricane blows thru and flattens your house. The entire economy is based on catering to the never-ending tourist trade. If you like to kiss ass for a living, then the keys are heaven for you.

Where I lived on Big Pine, we had about 500 endangered Key Deer - basically miniature white tails, that frequented my yard daily (not all 500 at once, LOL). The species is only known to exist on that one island and nowhere else in the world. Every other sort of wildlife is there too, including gators, raccoons, rattlesnakes but mainly aircraft-carrier sized mosquitos. Don't even think of deer hunting - the locals will track you down and beat your ass senseless with a ballbat for that.

The new spot on Sugarloaf is about halfway between Big Pine and Key West. I've a long-term association with a local musician there and will be residing with her, along with my two cats who are making the move with me. No.....the wife is not coming with (see the other thread). She'll be single again very soon, but I'm not giving her a stellar reference, but will give her the finger if I see her again before I go.

With the move approaching, I'll be going dark here very soon, at least until I can get set back up down there.

Until then......

Cheers!

Chris
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Hope it all works out for you!
2024 candidate for president
thom

Post by thom »

Not a bad place to relocate at least, and you will have someone you know. I was there a few years ago, they are very protective of the deer. And chickens.
You will make it work and be living in paradise.
Good luck and stay in touch.
Thom
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

good luck with the move, good luck with the divorce. and don't give the future miss X omega ya phone # and change the one ya got !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Good advice Tryker.
2024 candidate for president
omega

Post by omega »

Tryker & Sammy:

Way ahead of you guys. When I go dark, perhaps the only info left behind will be the new PO Box. Where I'm going there aren't traditonal street addresses either; its all something like RR#3, Box 76 etc..

Ill always be accessable to the knife community thru one forum or another, but the days of white page listings are GONE.