Al Mar Auto SERE

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Re: Al Mar Auto SERE

Postby omega » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 am

Damn! You would not believe the guitar nerds that crawled out from under their rocks when word hit the streets that I was unloading that tele. I had circulated a few pics privately and had a serious buyer within 15 mins. I let her go for $550 which is alot for a tele. Guy drove in from St louis with cash in hand and pick her up. Since I needed the cash for my Florida trip, he was speaking the right language.

I really wanted that SERE too. Those were great movers back in the day, My wholesaler was dumping them for $100 w/case. You hang on to that one. I'll bet you can get $500 for it in another year or so, I know you're cash-strapped like me right now and I would have loved to see it go to one of the TB crew.

Like I said in my post, I let that one go because I just couldn't get the tone growls out of it down in the lower registers. At one point I even had it XLRed into my effects loop, and I guess it sounded OK, but I'm a tone junkie that loves 10-15 secs of growling sustain and bends in lieu of doing the plink, plink, plink with my pic.

Love the tones from some of those Jacksons, but the two that I had both needed extra sheilding in the pot cavity to quiet that damn hum,

Cheers!

Chris

Viking45

Postby Viking45 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 am

No problem. I do not want to sell it but I will leave it up for a day or two.
Got to come up with about 300 bucks by this weekend. 250 for dang sure.

I too am all about tone. Robin Trower and David Gilmour are two faves of mine.
Love the twin leads of Thin Lizzy.

JulesVane

Postby JulesVane » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Viking45 wrote:Love the twin leads of Thin Lizzy.

So happy to hear another Thin Lizzy fan out there Dave! Scott Gorham, Eric Bell, Snowy White and R.I.P. Gary Moore! Phil Lynott was truly a poet!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with"...W.C. Fields

Viking45

Postby Viking45 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 pm

JulesVane wrote:
Viking45 wrote:Love the twin leads of Thin Lizzy.

So happy to hear another Thin Lizzy fan out there Dave! Scott Gorham, Eric Bell, Snowy White and R.I.P. Gary Moore! Phil Lynott was truly a poet!

Cool fact: The twin lead that eventually became their signature happened by accident.
During a recording of a solo something(not sure what) went wrong and when they listened to it in stereo one was off by a split second giving the illusion of two guitars playing the same solo. They loved it and that was Thin Lizzy's new sound. Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson were my favorite duo.

Here are some of my favorites. I play these when I go to the pub and watch people's reaction. They think The Boys Are Back In Town is the only song they did.
The twin lead in this is pure Thin Lizzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCdQcU9BLWk

Johnny This one gets people's attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-tjCf7Cmyw
Fools Gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveIaNnzfnc

Brian Downey is my favorite drummer and this may be why-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmLt5ubN3jg

Too many to choose from but this is in my top 5 faves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_kInU2-jc

omega

Postby omega » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm

My effects tastes are a bit newer. I run a pair of rack mount Tom Schotz soaks along with a pair of rack mount Rockmans and delays, but even those are now like 30 years old, LOL. Sometimes new does not = better. I've been looking for someone to build a stereo fuzzy-logic delay to "rehumanize" things a bit, but so far the idea hasn't taken off.

My all time favorite rig is an ovation acoustic 1651. They're factory wired so that the piezo outputs from 1-3-5 come out on the left channel, with 2-4-6 on the right. Sounds great thru a board with the channels panned to 10 and 2. They've not built them in a few years, so I was real nervous sending it back to the factory to be re-topped. The guys in connecticut did a stellar job and didn't even charge me for the re-top as they had warranted those for the life of the owner back in the day.

As I've been discovering, guitars are more addictive than springsteel, what with their constantly demanding their own humidified rooms, fresh tubes for the amp heads and miles of $2 a foot cables to wire it all together with. Strings aren't getting any cheaper either, every since Taylor came out with their elixirs, everyone thinks they can charge what they damn well please for wire.

Viking45

Postby Viking45 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am

My tastes are super simple. Love tone but don't like to think it to death.
Like to have a Peavey 6505 Plus (60W tube)
MXR- Carbon Copy delay
MXR Phase 90 ('74 handwired)
MXR Fullbore Metal Distortion
Fulltone MDV-3 DejaVibe Rotary
And I have a Fulltone Soul Bender. Fulltone stuff is outstanding and you can see I am a fan of MXR analog,old school stuff.

Not much else trips my trigger.

Watch the video with David Gilmour recording on his mahogany wood boat, on the water and how he gets crazy tone.
Talk about creative. That's just nuts.

omega

Postby omega » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I've seen that vid.............multiple times. My favorite scene is where he strums open strings on that guild 12-string acoustic. If that doesn't make you want to buy a Guild 12, nothing will.

Speaking of Gilmour, wonder what that Pete Cornish pedalboard set up cost him?

I like the MXR line too, but my stuff takes a beating and it causes the pots to go scratchy, plus I've had stomp button issues (pops) on all my MXR stuff. Thought about replacing the OEM switches with make-before-break versions with some added resistors to quiet things down, but its really too much work for an inexpensive pedal.

Return to “Buy & Sell”