Frank B. Humpback

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

Frank B. Humpback

Post by Scotchman »

Anyone here got a 'like new condition,' no problems, Frank B. Humpback 11" switch (limited edition preferred), dark horn scales for sale?
Markco the Mad otter

Re: Frank B. Humpback

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

I have two of Frank's limited edition humpbacks, one being dark horn but both have intermittent issues opening. Sometimes work fine but others have to push button in really hard. Wondered if anyone else experienced this.
Anyway found site called
www.menseffects.com
Never heard of it before but they say they have some for $251.99
I didn't see anything about limited editions though.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Sometimes work fine but others have to push button in really hard. Wondered if anyone else experienced this.
This has been an issue with most of the FB humpbacks I've seen. The liners kind of squeeze in at the opening and keep the blade stuck in the handle. Because there is no leaf spring offering support in the middle of the handle, the squeezing allows the liners to bow in more than they would on a regular leaf Italian. Also, because it has a coil instead of a leaf, there isn't enough force to break free of the squeezing liners.

If you take a screwdriver and twist at the opening of the liners, it pries them apart a bit and the knife will fire. But it is usually a temporary fix and it will soon be stuck again. I thought it was being caused by warping horn (I've seen some FB humps with such badly warped horn that the handle was curved) but I have also seen this on humps with other types of scales. I did rescale one that was really bad and it never had the problem again.

One other thing I've noticed is that, if you open the blade half way you can see the end of the coil spring that is in the blade (unlike on a vintage humpback where the coil end goes up into a hole with no opening on the side. Sometimes that coil end bends out slightly which might be acting like a doorstop that keeps the blade closed. That might be a second factor causing problems but the main issue is liners squeezing in.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Thanks Marco themad otter & JimBrown257. Maybe a humpback would not be a good choice? I figured it would be nice to go along with my other 3 Frank B. knives and with a different blade. I might take a chance.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Meant Marco the Mad otter.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Ugggghh. Markco.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Ha ha...
Yeah....I know Frank did go to a lot of trouble with these trying to get them right, I was happy when I finally got my two but a little disappointed about the way they fire. I had considered selling at least one of mine several times but there was the firing issue and honestly wasn't sure if it was just mine or most of them. Thought it would have been a little odd had it just been the two I had but....

Thanks Jim Brown. Now I know what I had been afraid to ask.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!