Rare Ed Marino 7" Square Button Pivot Bolster Conversion

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Rare Ed Marino 7" Square Button Pivot Bolster Conversion

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Please scroll through the entire posting as there is text associated with each photograph (which constitute part of the terms) and there are conditions at the very end. This will answer many of your questions and avoid miscommunication. Since I cannot establish the exact age of this knife or what Ed started with (no tang stamps) I am calling it 'modern'.

This is an Ed Marino conversion knife that is now a very unusual combination of square button (plunge release) and pivot bolster. This tiny gem measures 7" overall, or just a hair short of 18 cm and weighs 2.2 oz or 61 g. The blade and springs are 3/32" or 3 mm thick. It sits straight and deep and opens and locks reliably with about 1/8" of up-down and 1/16" of side-to-side play, I have verified the knife's provenance with two of the forum experts and one even provided a catalog listing showing where it was once offered for $1200. I have never seen one of these before and I doubt that I will see another like it. Bill DeShivs worked on the knife at some point, and his card is included with the item.

The knife is scaled in superb black and white Brazilian front and back. They are crack and bug free. It has brass liners and what I believe are solid NS bolsters. It is not D-stamped as nearly as I can tell. Please note the 'keyhole' shaped sear hole which is characteristic of plunge release mechanisms, like Square Button Latama's.

This is how the spine looks. Note the squared off locktab.

This is the blade well side. Please note the dual layers of brass in the vicinity of the top button. This is the safety mechnism. Normally it is flush with the blade well side of the liners and this is the ON position.

By pivoting the bolster, a sliver of brass pops out and this means the safety is OFF. Depressing the square button operates the plunge release to fire the blade.

By permission of 'Sticks of Fire' I am publishing an excerpt from Jerry Skelton's catalog showing what I believe to be this specific knife. The knife was obtained by the current owner from JS's estate.

I always try to be as complete and honest as I can when describing a knife, but I am only human and not always well-informed, particularly when it comes to rarities that are outside of my personal preferences for my own collection.

I always sell on an "as is basis" to protect myself from any 'buyer's remorse' issues, so if you have questions or issues, the time to ask is before making an offer. You are resposible for compliance to any applicable state and local laws. I reserve the right to sell the knife at any time for any acceptable offer. You may contact me directly at through the means listed in my signature block. This knife is currently listed on a popular auction site with which you are no doubt familiar, so if you can go there, the sale will be facilitated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."