wanted large knife case

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
R.H

wanted large knife case

Post by R.H »

wondered where some of you guys get your knife cases ... im looking for a large one , ran outta room in my other.
if you've got one for a good price to sell let me know. :)
R.H
RJS1966

Re: wanted large knife case

Post by RJS1966 »

I use customdisplays.com. They have 2" And 3" deep. Up to 2' by 2'. Stay away from oak though. Oak tends to be kind of acidic. I've seen knives tarnish and rust from being displayed in them.
Hope this helps you out.
R.H

Post by R.H »

RJS1966 wrote:I use customdisplays.com. They have 2" And 3" deep. Up to 2' by 2'. Stay away from oak though. Oak tends to be kind of acidic. I've seen knives tarnish and rust from being displayed in them.
Hope this helps you out.
thanks bud ill check them out, and thanks for tip I didn't know that.
R.H
leggo

Post by leggo »

I buy display cases ar Hobby Lobby.They are on sale for 50% off every time. I add small brass latches on them because the magnets on the doors are weal.
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

I have dismantled my display room. Would consider selling cases but shipping when I bought them was a killer. Not sure where you are but if interested enough to pick up or arrange for pick up I would consider selling most anything that I have.

Not really sure of size that you have in mind.
As you may see in pictures, I have from large floor cabinets to using small wooden cigar boxes with glass or plexiglas tops.
Attachments
DSCN1561.JPG
DSCN1561.JPG (234.48 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
DSCN1382.JPG
DSCN1382.JPG (237.05 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Markco the Mad otter

Actually, I don't really remember name of company that made the big ones, the floor and wall hangers. I think it was in Washington state and doesn't seem that I was able to find too many companies that made ones like them back when I did the computer search about 6+ years ago. Sorry not better help on actually finding any. Some of the others that are back on that shelf I got at shows or on line auctions. Those I never paid much for. Some people want an arm and a leg for the store display types. Like the knife display cases that would sit on a counter top. I have one or two like that you can't see in either of these pictures. However that doesn't really hold very many knives.
I was very fortunate to find several wooden cigar boxes at a cigar shop that had clear plastic covers for display and these I got for $5 or less but that too was quite a few years ago.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

WELCOME BACKNESS, Mr. Otter! Mos' good to see you posting wunst again times...
Don't be staying gone so long!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Markco the Mad otter

Ahhh, well Mr Bear.....
Thank you....
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Just wondering why you took apart such a nice display? It would seem you had put a lot of effort into making it look so good!
Markco the Mad otter

Ah....yes. A most worthy question. We thought that we had sold our house and our plan was to down size. I had/have aquired so many things....so many collections and though I enjoy them all there was just so much stuff I thought that it was a good time to let a lot of it go. Let other people have it and hopefully enjoy it like I had.
I had gotten rid of about 1/4 of the knives 3/4 of my books several guns, a bit of furniture, art glass and a lot of other odds and ends.
When the sale of the house didn't go through it just didn't seem to make much sense to set the room up again knowing that we would try to sell again.
So, now things are sort of in a state of limbo.

Oh! Thank you for the complement of saying that it looked good.
Maybe...some day I will be able to put it back together.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Ok that makes sense....Hope fully you can make a nice presentation in your new house when the time arrives.....I have way too much fishing stuff and cloths myself.....I keep thinking it is time to down size a bit myself...At 56 you start to realize you can never use all the things you have and there are those that can put them to better use.....Your welcome as it did look great!
Markco the Mad otter

exactly!!!!
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:WELCOME BACKNESS, Mr. Otter! Mos' good to see you posting wunst again times...
Don't be staying gone so long!
I second this Mr. Otter,I miss reading your posts and have been a huge fan of your oak displays since the first day I saw them.

As a guy that dabbles in wood working I have always been inspired by the Grandfather clock.
I have always wanted to do a knife display in the fashion or at least stature(if that makes sense?) as a Grandfather clock.
Upright about 6 1/2' feet tall,ornate door,ornate top but instead of one door I would make two long and narrow doors on the front.
Even played around the the concept of actually incorporating a functioning clock somehow.
Remember the old mantle clocks? Thought about doing something like that on the top as opposed to the big clock face.
My other ideas are solid wood doors,no glass and a bit rustic without going completely Danial Boone,maybe stag door handles and some of the small knife stands could be modern(stilettos) ,hunting knives could be made of hickory twigs with bark left on and modern knives could have wood and steel round stock involved.
I wanted glass shelves at first but decided I wanted wood so this means each shelf layer would require it's own little light system.
I'm old school but LED would most likely fit the bill.

Ahh if only I had the time I would make the ultimate knife displays. Thing is,I don't want them to be open,I want them to look like furniture and the host can share his secrets with his guests.
Love the 007 stuff with hidden compartments and stashes,knives hidden among knives.

Cheers Mr. Otter,didn't mean to ramble but I do admire your set-up. I just want to go one step further...(with the little handful of knives I have left)
Sold most of my very best knives. Yes I regret it but I'm here today,bills paid and I have the i-net to talk with all you fellers.
Jerr has kept me going more than any other,he's an inspiring individual.
Markco the Mad otter

Not a good picture but you can see the table that I am talking about in the upper right corner.
Not a good picture but you can see the table that I am talking about in the upper right corner.
DSCN1557.JPG (337.56 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Mr. Viking,
Thank you for your input and comments.
Before I got the three large glass display cases and two glass wall hanging cases I used what had been a couple of changing tables that were built for my disabled son after he passed away. I think in one of the pictures you can see part of it. Its all wood and the top has a several inch lip that sticks up all the way around that was to hold a thin mattress type pad, I had gotten a large piece of black velvet to cover thin foam to use it as a display table, it also has two large drawers on the front. It worked well but at the time it was upstairs and in a room where pretty much anyone that came in the house could see it less it was covered.

Eventually we made a designated room for the displays and that is the room where the pictures previously posted were taken. That way the only way that some one was going to see the displays if they were shown. Actually the room is sort of hidden.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!