MT Halo III TAD Edition - bargain!!!

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Simeon

MT Halo III TAD Edition - bargain!!!

Post by Simeon »

Hi!

Time to get rid of this :(
(and no trades, sorry)

So: the question is about Microtech Halo III, TAD ( http://tripleaughtdesign.com/ ) edition from 2006.

Charging bar has date 10/2006 and TAD logo.

Mint otherways, but just side by the "baldehole" there are two very tiny spots (about 0.05 inch.) where the green color has rubbed off.

Sheath and original box included.

And, because of my location (FInland) only Paypal will do - or if you happen to live inside SEPA area, bank transfer is just fine.

Price?

Only $530 - and did I mention this includes shipping and PayPal fee?
Viking45

Re: MT Halo III TAD Edition - bargain!!!

Post by Viking45 »

Great looking knife.
I have never been to Finland but I love your country. Not long before it's cloud berry season 8)
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice knife and none of the Halo models are currently being made as far as I know. I have a Halo 5.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

what if it gets lost in the mail? You gonna give money back :shock:

Hopefully you can find a buyer over there by you.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Chrisadamley wrote:what if it gets lost in the mail? :shock:
That's the reason I'm ready to send it as registered package with insurance.

(I've sold a bunch of knives to States and never any loss, but, true, you never know...)
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Simeon wrote:

(I've sold a bunch of knives to States and never any loss, but, true, you never know...)
I guess by lost i meant "stolen"...if you catch my drift.

That is good it has never happened to you. it has to me and it Sucks!..especially when your the seller because its not like you have another one you can send the person!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Chrisadamley wrote:
Simeon wrote:
I guess by lost i meant "stolen"...if you catch my drift.
That is good it has never happened to you. it has to me and it Sucks!..especially when your the seller because its not like you have another one you can send the person!
I always worry about writing the value on int. packages. If you don't write it down, you can't get the insurance if it is lost or broken. But if you do write the value (and it is high) on the package form, it just seems like it is going to make it more likely that it ends up getting "lost".
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

JimBrown257 wrote: I always worry about writing the value on int. packages. If you don't write it down, you can't get the insurance if it is lost or broken. But if you do write the value (and it is high) on the package form, it just seems like it is going to make it more likely that it ends up getting "lost".
I get your point.

A couple of times buyer and I have decided to split the risk into half (well, kind of).
What I mean is we have done like this:
1. Buyer sends me half of the price.
2. When I have the money, I send the goods.
3. When buyer receives the package, he/she sends me the remaining part of the price.

This way buyer takes the risk to loose some money and I take the risk I won't get any more than half of the price I wanted (and loss of knife, of course & for example).
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Simeon wrote:
JimBrown257 wrote: I always worry about writing the value on int. packages. If you don't write it down, you can't get the insurance if it is lost or broken. But if you do write the value (and it is high) on the package form, it just seems like it is going to make it more likely that it ends up getting "lost".
I get your point.

A couple of times buyer and I have decided to split the risk into half (well, kind of).
What I mean is we have done like this:
1. Buyer sends me half of the price.
2. When I have the money, I send the goods.
3. When buyer receives the package, he/she sends me the remaining part of the price.

This way buyer takes the risk to loose some money and I take the risk I won't get any more than half of the price I wanted (and loss of knife, of course & for example).
I guess that is a pretty good backup (provided the person you're dealing with doesn't turn around and demand the half he paid back if it gets lost).

What do you write for the value on the package, though? I mean, if you were sending something with a $500 value, would you write "$500" on the outer form?

That seems to me like it is just asking to have it "get lost".
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

JimBrown257 wrote: What do you write for the value on the package, though? I mean, if you were sending something with a $500 value, would you write "$500" on the outer form?
I like to listen wishes and suggestions.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Simeon wrote: I like to listen wishes and suggestions.
I don't know, just because it's the other guy's idea to write a high value on the outer form, it won't mean your package is any less lost if some customs guy decides to keep it.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I think the word "stolen" was meant different than the value of the item but rather the method of operation of the item not being allowed everywhere.....
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Tom19176 wrote:I think the word "stolen" was meant different than the value of the item but rather the method of operation of the item not being allowed everywhere.....
They weren't talking about the value written on the package but I was. I stand by my opinion that writing a high value (let's say $500) on the package when you-know-what is in there can only be a bad idea.

If they open it up, you lose it and you can't collect insurance in that case. I don't know how it works but I wouldn't be surprised that, when they see a high value on the package, it increases the chance that they will want to see what is in there.

Or if it is legitimately lost, be it some crooked customs guy takes it (that is why I would be most concerned with writing a high value on the package) or it just falls behind the desk, you aren't getting the insurance. They won't just hand over the $500 insurance check. They are going to want to know what they are reimbursing.

So you can either tell them what was in there. If you do that, they are going to say you shouldn't have sent that. Best case scenario: you don't get the check; worst case scenario: the custom's DA (or whatever he's called) has ambitions of higher office and wants to make an example of you...and you don't get the check.

Or you can lie about what was in there, maybe show them a receipt for something else, and you get your $500. But is that $500 worth the lost sleep caused by worrying that they might find the package that fell behind the desk and realize you lied to them? I don't know international mail laws work but it seems like it could be a bad thing to get caught lying about.

It seems to me that the only sensible thing to do is to write "gift" on the package and write a low value. If they do open it up and they do realize it was a $500 item, and they confront you about it, you say "Wow, I didn't realize what a great deal I got at that garage sale!"

Of course, the other thing you can do, which many people do is separate the parts and send them separately. But if you don't do that, writing a high value can only be a bad idea.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Actually there are a couple of things you can do. I've noticed that shipments from Europe and Asia typically come in the lightest weight packages because there is no flat rate option, every ounce costs. I would request or use a very sturdy box, well sealed and offer to pay or request payment for same. This is the cheapest form of insurance. More than once the outer layer gets torn and things fall out, or it's so damaged that the delivery address gets lost.

Let's talk domestic US packages for a moment, you can extend the logic to international in a bit. First, there are some things you shouldn't ship by USPS regulation, such as firearms. You can however ship them with UPS, which costs more, but has an extensive in-house tracking system and a hand-off from operator to operator. It costs more to ship, they are insistent on quality packaging, and they self insure - so their lost in shipment rates are low. However they seem somewhat indifferent on where they leave packages unless you request signature confirmation. This is what they use shipping firearms and then they even have an approved list of delivery addresses, namely FFL licensees. If you do try to bend the rules and use USPS then use a flat rate priority box (not a flimsy envelope) and seal all seams fully with good packing tape (not the thin priority crap they have free at the post office.) I even retape the carton joins as these are weak spots. If the package is high dollar, then use either certified or registered, not the green signature card. One of these adds like $3 and the other like $12. They may question the combination, because priority is intended to be fast, but the addition requires this agent to agent sign off which slows things down, but is what you want. No thief wants to sign for something he is going to steal. Also, then the recipient must sign for it.

I don't know if foreign mail can be sent certified or registered, but it seems likely. Otherwise, pack well and use DHL. I don't think insurance and declarations are nearly the issue as much as packing well enough to survive a rough journey, and insisting on agent to agent handoff. The object is to be proactive, get the package to the destination in one piece first, rather than trying to get reimbursed for a failed delivery later.

One man's opinion.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I wasn't talking about collecting the insurance if the package gets damaged, that's a different issue. I was talking about the package getting lost (either legitimately lost or stolen by someone along the way). And this only applies to int packages as they are the ones that have the value on the outer form.

I think advertising that the package has a $500 value can only increase the chance of it getting stolen (especially if it is a small-ish package that can fit in your coat's pocket). Of course, I don't know what safe-guards they have set up at customs; perhaps it is virtually impossible to steal something there. But if there is a chance, it seems like the "$500" package is at a higher risk than the "$20" package.

The only reason there would be to write "$500" on the package (and the item really is worth $500 in my example) is so you could collect insurance if it gets lost.

But they aren't going to reimburse you for something you aren't supposed to send.