Paul Panak aka Burn 11 inch Ivory Picklock

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
robcelani

Paul Panak aka Burn 11 inch Ivory Picklock

Post by robcelani »

Hello Talkblade Forums!:)

Paul Panak (Burn Knives) 11 inch Ivory Italian Picklock Stiletto
- Beautiful pre-ban Elephant Ivory Handle (see up close pictures below)
- 154cm blade steel which is an upgrade from his normal 440c
- Solid Nickel Silver bolsters
- Stainless steel liners
- Blade, leaf spring and back spring are 3/16 inch thick
- Knife at handles is about 3/4 inch thick
- All the metal is mirror polished

I'm not a professional photographer (obviously right) but I included a lot of pictures. I tried to capture the grain and texture of the ivory handle. It is amazing stuff. I've not owned any ivory before so it was a learning experience for me to look at and admire.

Of course never carried or used. I am the second owner. One other note, Paul is currently not making side openers. His focus is on Out the Front automatics. He updates his website periodically about his progress. I had another collector contact me who said the delay could be up to 2 years. In other words if you want a Burn knife secondary market is gonna be it for side openers.

KNIFE HAS BEEN TRADED Price is $1475 by paypal or usps money order. I'll cover paypal fees, shipping and insurance. Trades offers for other automatics will be considered.

I've never sold on Talkblade but I have bought a few knives. I have sold on other knife forums such as BladeForums, JerzeeDevil, Microholics and some others. I can provide references if you like.

Front

Back

Ivory Handle

Thickness Pictures
Last edited by robcelani on Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Though you hold your blade over my heart, through endurance... I will Prevail!
robcelani

Article about Mr. Panak and his amazing KNIVES!

Post by robcelani »

If your interested here's a link to an article from Tactical Knives by Anthony Lombardo: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tac ... stilettos/.

It has a little historical information about Italian switchblades and about Paul's work. A little clip:
Modern Picklock Master
Paul is pretty much a throwback, designing and making hand-crafted Italian stilettos from scratch with the utmost precision and high grade materials. Examining a “Burn” knife is a great revelation—Italian picklocks can be effective weapons when properly crafted. Paul’s picklocks are typically made from hardened 410 stainless steel with 440-C blades and nickel silver bolsters. Most commonly, handle materials are stag, horn, or most any exotic you like; these are all made one at a time. For springs, Paul uses W-1 spring steel and you can instantly tell that they are quality; these springs fire the blades with extreme speed—they really pop to life.

Paul is very proud of the fact that his knives are 100% handmade without the aid of CNC equipment or outside vendors. He is well known for his polished hollow grinds that are the equal of anyone’s I have examined. Compared to most original Italian picklocks, Paul’s versions are absolutely massive in every respect; 13-inch open length and thick, razor-sharp blades surrounded by perfectly machined bolsters and handle scales. The polishing of a “Burn” is beyond mirror—more like a polished mirror. With these knives you get a lot of bling for the buck! Comparing these masterpieces to my Great-Grandfather Giuseppe’s old green bone-handled “MASERW” picklock, there is simply no comparison in quality, but the same rakish styling, the incredible balance and the indefinable personality that makes a picklock so memorably cool are all there.
robcelani

Re: Paul Panak aka Burn 11 inch Ivory Picklock

Post by robcelani »

Knife has been traded.
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Hi Rob, Just joined up on this forum and noticed your posting for the Panak. I just snagged an 11" Swinguard of his about a week ago. I've posted a few pics of it in the picture area of this forum. Man, you're not kiddin' about Paul's builds becomin' hard to find. Hope you do well with it on this forum. How are you doin' with the Haller? Gonna be able to bring it back to life? Hope so....Again, good luck with yer sale and I'll see ya around the neighborhood, TC (BTW, have you ever had one of the Due Buoi stillettos? Just ordered one up and have been gettin' mixed messages about the quality. Anything you can tell me? Thanks!)
The end of the story has already been written...Time is just casting the players
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Ayla wrote: BTW, have you ever had one of the Due Buoi stillettos? Just ordered one up and have been gettin' mixed messages about the quality. Anything you can tell me?
Mr. Ayla,

"Mixed messages" on Due Buoi stiletto quality?

Please to share the negative quality issues you have been gettin'...

THANKS!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Hello Mr. Bear, the negativity of which I speak started with none other than Wayne himself. In our conversation during placement of my order he told me that all stillettos have blade play or they wouldn't open. I have to disagree. Granted there was no discussion of the degree of play, but I believe that Any play beyond what allows the blade to open is poorly manufactured. Paul's knives are a case in point. I have two of his builds and neither one has the slightest hint of bladeplay. Same with a Dwayne Carillo or Grayman. They may as well be fixed blades as tight as the tolerances are. I have also been told of receiving a DB, only to discover the leaf spring has broken, presumably during shipment. Had to be a pretty rough trip to break a padded knife's spring. The knife was sent back for repair(which is a pain in the ass, considering the two month plus wait time). Another had excessive wobble in the blade, and was returned. I won't name names as everyone is entitled to their anonimity in such matters and it would not be right to expose them to a pissin' contest they didn't ask for. To be fair I have spoken with someone of just the opposite opinion also. I just maintain that a knife with any play at all is poorly manufactured and to be considered defective...Period. My concern is, like I said, waiting for two months or more only to be disappointed in the quality of a knife that you paid $350 for. I have had many knives and will not tolerate paying good money for something I consider defective. Sorry there Mr. Bear, I kinda went off on a tangent. My Bad.....
The end of the story has already been written...Time is just casting the players
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks for your prompt response, Mr. Ayla - Not a "tangent" atall.

Mr. Clifton's definition of "blade play" is different than mine. I don't consider any of my four Due Buoi stilettos to have any "blade play."

I predict that you will be mos' pleased with yours, so quit fretting! :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Thank you kindly Mr. Bear. You're totally right about havin' a different concept of Blade Play. I have tried so many times to get that One Swinguard that locks up tight enough for my taste. The Lockbacks see to have this problem more than the others, like the frame lock and liner lock. I must say without hesitation, that the only knives of this type to date that have passed my strict requirements for blade play have been the DeShivs designed Leverlettos. I have yet to have Any issues with the lockups on his knives so I know it can be done. To me there is nothing worse than firing a beautiful stilletto only to hear and feel the rattle of of a loose blade. Fortunately since I've committed to buying my first DB, the feedback I've received lately has been overwhelmingly in support of the "Overbuilt" knives. I guess I'll find out soon enough as I have two DB's comin' my way soon. Thank You sir for givin' me the opportunity to vent on this important issue, Ayla/TC
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

JerrBear wrote:Thanks for your prompt response, Mr. Ayla - Not a "tangent" atall.

Mr. Clifton's definition of "blade play" is different than mine. I don't consider any of my four Due Buoi stilettos to have any "blade play."

I predict that you will be mos' pleased with yours, so quit fretting! :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear, You have No idea how pleased I am to hear that you have Four DB's, None of which have any blade play issues. Tells me that a good lockup is the norm and Not the exception. I'm restin' easier already. I owe you one, my friend....Ayla/TC :D
playu72

Post by playu72 »

Fantastic swingblade. If i had got the money.......