Italian Frank Beltrame's CRAZY COOL

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Re: Italian Frank Beltrame's CRAZY COOL

Post by jim d, »

Sorry, I have never paid 70 bucks for a 9" stiletto...

Then I don't suppose you have bought many picklocks..

Jim
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

hogwild wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I

You'll lose brain cells.

:roll:
Hahaha..I couldn't watch that whole thing... Kinda like...Well...nevermind :D :D :D

JimD....I never got into the picklocks. I do have a mangled fish though.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Modern picklocks are simply variants of the so-called "Classic".
1. Top front bolster does not swivel
2. Top front bolster is squared off; no slant.
3. Top front bolster ears are completely covered by the liner. No big thing as the same die used to cut the back liner works for these as well.
4. Front scale is cut square; no slant.
5. Back spring is thinned slightly so as to allow the lock tab to be manually operated.

Why modern picklocks can command any significant premium over the Classic is unjustified IMO unless there are better materials used (steel and scales) and more care is taken in the assembly and finishing processes.

As for antiques, well anything is possible.
eastcoastsniper

natcherly wrote:Modern picklocks are simply variants of the so-called "Classic".
1. Top front bolster does not swivel
2. Top front bolster is squared off; no slant.
3. Top front bolster ears are completely covered by the liner. No big thing as the same die used to cut the back liner works for these as well.
4. Front scale is cut square; no slant.
5. Back spring is thinned slightly so as to allow the lock tab to be manually operated.

Why modern picklocks can command any significant premium over the Classic is unjustified IMO unless there are better materials used (steel and scales) and more care is taken in the assembly and finishing processes.

As for antiques, well anything is possible.
And with less material and a primitive closing operation...why do they command a premium? hahaha...this should be good :wink:

Gee,,,it looks like this post was 'jacked and might turn into something worthwhile :lol: :o
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Picklocks are funny things to our collecting. I had the chance to buy a few years back (1980s) but hated the fact you had to close them via the tab. Now they are the Holy Grail of our hobby ( not to me). I do like 1960-70s thick transitional knives as I feel they are better made than the best of todays offerings. I too am at a loss to see why there is a high price on current production pick locks, but the demand is there and there are only a few made. The offerings by the young lady here are all common and of the lower end of the makers she sells. I think we are all trying to say the same message to her, that offering over priced low end knives here ( and other the other forums she list them on) is not going to help her build a solid following of loyal customers. The sad stories of broken trucks and the continous questioning of why her over priced trash hasn't sold yet ( and the offering of video games!) shows she has alot to learn about meeting her customers needs....
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I sort of feel a bit bad about busting on her. I admire capitalism, and that's what she is in essence making an attempt at. In another venue she would have a better market of less experienced knife enthusiasts. Also the age thing shows. In a fatherly sort of way she needs some guidance in her pursuit. Beats the Hell out of what some kids her age are selling (crack, crank, etc...)

On the flip-side; the 6 month history of some volatile responses diminishes my compassion.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

hogwild wrote: On the flip-side; the 6 month history of some volatile responses diminishes my compassion.
lmao...this cracked me up. Seemed all understanding at first...then that, too funny. :lol:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

As far as I am concerned she can ask whatever price she wants to.....if its a fair price it will sell...if not a fair price it will not sell.....no skin off anyone elses nose.....and you are dealing with a a 21yr old woman...and picking on a woman is not exactly a manly thing to do. jmho :)
eastcoastsniper

Springmesser wrote:As far as I am concerned she can ask whatever price she wants to.....if its a fair price it will sell...if not a fair price it will not sell.....no skin off anyone elses nose.....and you are dealing with a a 21yr old woman...and picking on a woman is not exactly a manly thing to do. jmho :)
Go back to your cave Fred Flintstone... you haven't witnessed her antics on the forum lately :)
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

jim d, wrote:Sorry, I have never paid 70 bucks for a 9" stiletto...

Then I don't suppose you have bought many picklocks..

Jim

:wink: well shoot Jim!! Now is your golden opportunity!!! I got some real purty ones that I would be will'n to do ya for.... :oops: sorry....
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

eastcoastsniper wrote:
Springmesser wrote:As far as I am concerned she can ask whatever price she wants to.....if its a fair price it will sell...if not a fair price it will not sell.....no skin off anyone elses nose.....and you are dealing with a a 21yr old woman...and picking on a woman is not exactly a manly thing to do. jmho :)
Go back to your cave Fred Flintstone... you haven't witnessed her antics on the forum lately :)
What has she done for you to dislike her?
eastcoastsniper

Springmesser wrote:
eastcoastsniper wrote:
What has she done for you to dislike her?

Read the comments by me and others in this post...That's a start.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I do not see anything in this thread she posted that was horrible....just trying to sell some knives at a mark up price....I cannot fault her for trying to make a buck......if her price is not right....make her an offer.....if you cannot agree on a price...forget about it and move on....there is always a better deal down the road. :)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have a couple of picklocks and they have soldered bolsters of nickel with brass which is a little more labor intensive as opposed to stamped stainless and I think some people just like the "old school" style of closing the blade.
I can see why people like them.
All knives are cool,I personally don't care for OTF's but I don't knock them.
Fact is all the Italians are cheap-o knives,the steel is worthless so putting much more into it than that is entirely up to the collector.
Same with Mikov's,the steel in not much better,unless you pay a premium price for a steel upgrade. However I absolutely love Mikov knives.
Hubertus knives are fabulous,one of my all-time faves but the blades are too thin to be a hard working knife thus making them a nice collectable.
There is always the argument- Buy a Buck if you want a work knife. I'm just trying to make a point. We all love knives and have different tastes period.

I only wish someone would make a thick-bladed,rugged switchblade with natural materials and brass. Something as tough as a Microtech or Masters Of Defence only not with aluminum handles.
I wish someone here would convert my Puma Prince to an auto...Now that would be a knife.
Knife Crazied

Post by Knife Crazied »

Thank you for your help but it takes a bigger person to walk away so choose the high road and leave these men to stroke each others egoes and pretend they know all. I will admit I don't know everything but one of my favorite things in life is that you can learn something new everyday, if your open to help and suggestions.