Am I being unrealistic?

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JohnnyCache

Am I being unrealistic?

Post by JohnnyCache »

It's my first time buying any knife.. and I want this one to be a winner--

I'm in love with stilettos, and would LOVE an unused 11" Frank B. Olivewood Bayonet Picklock with a matching tan leather sheath-- but I'm not rich, nor a collector either [obviously]

In reality, I'm trying to keep the knife in the ~50 USD range. I want this to be a knife that I can care for, yet strap to my belt for a midnight walk with the dog in my sketchy neighborhood [not that I think I'd EVER have to use it, I guess its just the thought of it being there that comforts me... and yes I know, for self defense its probably best to have a fixed blade.. but frank b's are no toys right?

So I've done a few days worth of research.. and I just needed to clarify a few things..

1. Why are picklocks so expensive? From what I gather, its more than just the tapered lock thats easier to pick [perhaps the materials used to make the fastners, bolts, handles, etc...?] Either way, I read it was FBs best work.

2. Are the other 11" FBs comparable in quality to the picklocks? Ive been monitoring sharperdeals.net and have seen a few frank 11"'s posted, with some buyouts below $50! [although none were bayos]

So am I being unrealistic trying to get a new F. Beltrame at that size, for that price? Im pretty sure the answer is yes if im looking for a picklock specifically.. but what about the other models?

oh yeah.. and any recommendations for the sheath? I know even less about those than I do about the stilettos.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your time.
Salvatore

EDIT: Should I have posted this in switchblades? I'm afraid fix this and double-post as that is usually a no no.
TRYKER

Re: Am I being unrealistic?

Post by TRYKER »

if you feel that you need to carry any kind of knife for self defence. do so as a back up for something more useful like a cane, walking stick, ballpeen hammer or a handgun.

tryker
JohnnyCache

Post by JohnnyCache »

this purchase is more fascination motivated rather than self defense..

but like I said, the fact that it can be used for self defense makes the purchase seem more justifiable in my mind.
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

there are several members here who can make a sheath for the knife,but it will cost you close to what your limit is. Good leather is not cheap and then there are all the tools required, skill , stitching , dye etc.
Rick on SharperD's had some not too long ago , they were made by Mr. smallfoot ,a member here and a great guy.
Concentrate on the knife first ,then add the sheath at a later date.
Personally ,I think carrying a stiletto is a waste of good money ,unless your planning on attending an olive eating contest and need something long and pointy to get them out of the jar.
Stilettos are fun to flick ,but not good for much more than that.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

You probably already read this recent post about pick locks...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11526

I think you are being unrealistic about getting a picklock for 50 bucks...Swivel bolster in 11", maybe.

Like everyone else has mentioned, stilettos ,of any kind, aren't the greatest knives for cutting. You just can't really sharpen a bayo blade, a dagger blade, and especially a kriss. The straigh Itallian blades can be sharpened OK.

Don't be stuck on only getting a Frank B. knife. The other marked Italian knives are about the same(probably made in the same shop), in the price point you are looking for.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Unless I missed somthining. How about an inexpensive knife; in case of loss or confiscation. I have found the S&W HRT flick knife to be descent quality, holds a good edge, opens quick as an auto, thick sturdy blade with thick stabber point and sharp when done on 1K waterstome. I fine it to be a good knife which would not cause me heartbreak if need to replace, stays sharp for most needs. Just don't do the deed and get caught. And remember staying clear of trouble; don't get caught taking a knife to a gunfight. Pretty good all round user knife with potential for SD if needed. Greg. Couse a copperlock works bout as good and looks nore sedate
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
h1942

Post by h1942 »

Seriously. How old are you really? Hank
JohnnyCache

Post by JohnnyCache »

h1942 wrote:Seriously. How old are you really? Hank
I'm not quite sure why you keep asking this.. but I can assure you that I'm 25

If I said something that came off as immature, I apologize..

If your looking for a date, go fuck yourself =)
--J

Post by --J »

----------
Last edited by --J on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junior

Post by junior »

probably not a good idea
In A Dog Eat Dog World, Be A Wolf
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

whippersnapper wrote:You probably already read this recent post about pick locks...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11526

I think you are being unrealistic about getting a picklock for 50 bucks...Swivel bolster in 11", maybe.
The straight Itallian blades can be sharpened OK.
Full agreement :idea:
Plus - The backspring on a picklock [at the locking tab] is HALF the thickness of the one one a bolster release :!: :!: :!: :!:
This makes them weaker :idea:
Not ideal on a "using" knife and worse on a defensive item :idea:
Any knife is a POOR defensive tool :!:
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Guys, guys.....self-defense is a good an excuse as any for buying something that one has no real use for ain't it? Mine are all for self-defense toooooo. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Mike
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Any knife is a POOR defensive tool :!:
Depends, un-armed opponent, unless they are properly trained, might be OK.

If they have a gun or proper self defense training, forget it, your toast.

:mrgreen:

P.S. Yes I think your being unrealistic. Get an Okapi and grind the ratchets down! If you have to "loose" the damn thing your only out like 10-15 bucks!
What knife?