Jowika Knife Solingen Germany B 007

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
novsix

Jowika Knife Solingen Germany B 007

Post by novsix »

I have acquired this knife via an estate! It is marked JOWIKA, Solingen Germany and on the other side of the blade, a number B 007. The handle seems inlaid black bands. Gruesome looking thing, but I can find absolutly nothing about it! I know it is German and probably pre WWII. Anything will be appreciated.
Attachments
this is the whole knife..
this is the whole knife..
Jowika Knife.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 30478 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'll guess early 50s. It looks Sooooo typical of the flood of post-war Solingen knives. I've seen the name before and similar knives on ebay.
novsix

reply to vagrant

Post by novsix »

You are saying it is fake? Jowika left Germany prior to WWII, I mean I do not know. It is very difficult to find out anything. I do thank you for the reponse.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: reply to vagrant

Post by Vagrant »

novsix wrote:You are saying it is fake? Jowika left Germany prior to WWII, I mean I do not know. It is very difficult to find out anything. I do thank you for the reponse.
Fake ???
Hell no, but some German companies that left Germany left their name there or signed over the rights to use it to other companies. Hitler was very likely to let one of his cronies take over a company AND it's name even if the rightful owners "ran for their lives". AFTER the war, trademarks, patents, copyrights, etc, were "handed out by the victors, in many cases, to their cronies :wink: During the "cold war" both Zeiss AND Zeiss/Jena existed, ALL I'm saying is it looks VERY "50s ish" :idea: I've been wrong before, and will be again but it looks post-war to me.
jeremys2k

Re: Jowika Knife Solingen Germany B 007

Post by jeremys2k »

I know this was forever ago, but i just acquired a similar knife from my grandpa who was in WW2 my knife says Gambill Solingen Germany and on other side it says B 007. any insite?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Jowika Knives were made in both Ireland and Germany :?
The Irish ones I've seen were all folders and [generally] somewhat newer. The German ones were fixed blades and [I'm guessing] late 40s to late 50s/early 60s.
Maybe someone else can add to that.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I can't offer any helpful info but I just know from experience that many German companies made similar knives. I have one by Edge Mark that is similar and I know Linder and even Puma made knives on the same lines...at least the stacked handles like that.

Definitely a keeper Novsix :!:
mohardrock

Post by mohardrock »

There was not a lot of aluminum after W.W.2 This knife B 007 was a survival knife used by the German Luftwaffe when they were downed. just as they had in an aluminum case a Drilling which was not marked, if you can find one they are worth about 70.000.00 dollars. All knifes were not Nazi marked. Neither were the drilling three barrel rifle. Upper two were a 12 gauge shotgun and the lower barrel was a 9.52 MauseR. Take it what its worth the knife has a lot of aluminum in it which was very plentiful to the Germans in the 1930,s. Anyway that is my opinion. mohardrock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"There was not a lot of aluminum after W.W.2 This knife B 007 was a survival knife used by the German Luftwaffe when they were downed."
Completely incorrect. Someone is making up their own facts.

These knives are post 1950. Most were made by the same manufacturer and marked for other makers-mostly for export to the United States or to sell to occupying GIs. Linder was probably the actual manufacturer.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
mohardrock

Post by mohardrock »

Sir, There was not a lot of aluminum available to the Germans after W.W.2. And the Luftwaffe did not have the German Nazi proof marks on any of the weapons. They were not part of that. And they still call the German Air Force the Luftwaffe today. I have a friend that served in Germany in the 1960,s and told me this and during W.W.2 that very few of the Germans in the Luftwaffe were Nazi,s except Goering. I have a Femaru-FEGYVER MOD.RT37M 9 MM kurtz or short that my uncle bought back from the war from a downed German fighter plane. And it is not Nazi marked. They were issued to the Luftwaffe bought were not Nazi marked. The only aluminum that was available was scrap after the war. Sir do your research. mohardrock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sir- I have been studying and collecting knives for 50 years.
These knives were commercially manufactured for import to the US after 1950. They are rather common.
My information does not come from "some friend told me," it comes from books, contacts in the cutlery industry, other collectors, catalogs, and personal observation.
I am aware that drillings were used in some German survival kits, but that has absolutely no bearing on knives. Because a knife is NOT marked a certain way means absolutely nothing.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
mohardrock

Post by mohardrock »

Sir, I am not an idiot or is my uncle who served in WW2 And i am very well read on these type of things. I have over 250 edge weapons from all over the world including this country we live in and i have close to 170 swords from all over the world including the Revolutionary War the war of 1812 the Mexican American war, the Civil War the Spanish American war, the First World War, that i have two Patton swords, Have you heard of them before, and the last navel sword used in WW1 and WW2 the last sword ever used in combat in the U.S. forces. Besides my uncle was not some cook He fought with honors as did my father. Also i have over 100 bayonets from this country and all over the world from all periods. Sir i did not fall off the apple cart yesterday i am very well read and i take offence when you do not any research. I have been an avid collector for over 45 years closer to 50 years And i do not like my intelligence insulted. This forum is not meant to make enemies, it is to be informative and open to discuss things not to be insulting. Best Regards, mohardrock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Owning a piano does not make you a musician.
We had a discussion. You came along with an opinion that you can't substantiate, and I explained that you are wrong. You seem to have a problem with that.
So- please provide proof that these were German Luftwaffe survival knives. We'll all be anxiously waiting.....
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

And, please explain the English spelling "Germany".....
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Still waiting.....