self protection

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
zed

self protection

Post by zed »

Hey there Vagrant and others

I'm looking for a switchblade for self protection. Any suggestions?
I would prefer a daggerblade with a sharp backside, but I can't find any.

All the best people
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

What kinda price range you looking for.
A double edged out the front switchblade of quality is an expensive endevour.
However, there are plenty of them out there of really good quality... just none that are cheap :evil:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

If you want double edge it will have to be an otf since you would cut the crap out of yourself with a side opener. I have a few questions for you though. What makes you thing a switchblade is your answer to self protection? Self protection can go two ways offence and defence and both take long hard study and familiarizing your self with various weapons. There is most likely nothing uglier,more painful and bloodier then a knife fight. I myself prefer a #32 Louisville Slugger,Golf Club or a Field Hockey stick that way I can keep a good distance and still wreak havoc :lol: . You ask the question of a self protection knife almost as an afterthought or spur of the moment question which tells me that you know very little about selfprotection and if I may be so bold as to say most 14 to 16 year olds don't. I'm not saying these things to put you down and make fun of you I'm saying them because you have broached a really serious subject which requires a lot more of an answer then "get this" or "get one of these". The only help I will give you here is a swtchblade is the worst knife you could possibly get for fun and games. But again if you had done any homework you would know this and know exactly what type of blade you should be concentrating on. And please don't take any offence and I would like to hear you side and reasons as others here would and others can offer you valuable advice for saving you ass in a street situation.
PB
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

PB makes a good point zed....

People who go around asking for self protection usaully are already knee deep in shit with something that cant handle themselves and are looking for "help." This is a generalization.

Many things can be "self protection" and if your doing what your suppose to you shouldn't need it. Anything but guns come in this order while carried........work, whatever else, than self protection.

Look at it like this. Someone starts something with no weapon, you pull out a knife stab em, they run off, you get sued and will most likely lose. And chances are if you start shit with a knife they are going to pull a gun and have your ass on a lead platter.

Anything more than your fists can be considered "self protection." But best bet is, if you can't beat someone with your fists.......lift some d@mn weights. Worst thing in life is to go walking around being intimidated by people just because they are bigger than you. Best way to go....instead of going for "self protection," DONT FIGHT FAIR! Pull ears hair or jaws.....

Okay, now that I am done rambling on about my opinions. Here at these forums this is a very touchy issue. And many of us have our own views on it. Stick around and listen to the others and me and youll learn about it.

8)
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I'm with Pushbutton on this matter. For night time strolls around the neighborhood, I like to carry my 6 D cell MagLite. It can make quite an "impression" on man or beast! :D
(plus it's legal and you can even use it as a flashlight!) :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Always THINK before producing, pointing, or [threatening anyone with] a weapon :!: :!: The law in almost all states equates assault [threatening] with USE :shock: as far as justification :idea: You can NOT indicate you will use it unless it it is already LEGAL to do so :!: A weapon is a defensive device, NOT a negotiating tool. Don't pull it until you are leagaly allowed to use it :idea: IF it is legal, to use it DO SO without warning if necessary :shock: A warning can make it appear that you had time to consider other options, and should have used them :roll: NEVER argue with an assailant, or exchange insults :!: This is legaly considered "escalation" and negates your right to defense. If someone threatens you by saying "I'll break every bone in your body" [and it seems he seriously intends to do it and is CAPABLE of doing it] legaly you may walk away or kill him :shock: you can NOT say "you and what army" that is illegal :? The law is an ASS and an Idiot but the wise people let the OTHER GUY break it :wink:
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I beg your pardon :!:

The 1st Amendment guarantees my right to say, "you and what army?" to whomever over whatever and whenever I please! :wink:
And if subsequent events warrant it, Blue Cross guarantees that I can be taken to the nearest hospital ER and be treated at their expense (after I pay the applicable deductible). :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:I beg your pardon :!:

The 1st Amendment guarantees my right to say, "you and what army?" to whomever over whatever and whenever I please! :wink:
And if subsequent events warrant it, Blue Cross guarantees that I can be taken to the nearest hospital ER and be treated at their expense (after I pay the applicable deductible). :?
:lol:
The freedom of speech rights do NOT apply to "escalation" during an altercation :( However if you ever want to trigger an attack [that you're prepared for] the surest way to do it is to ignore someone who is threatening you, then you may defend yourself when they attack :wink:
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i'm with PB on the golf club - i have a pitching wedge within arms length of my pillow,
and i know my kid won't hurt himself with it while it waits for golf or intruders :wink:

zed - get a switchblade for the sheer fun of "click therapy" :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I know of no law against carrying a cane :idea: One with a brass head can make a serious impression on an assailant :wink:
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Zed, everyone on this forum probably carries a knife when they leave their home. If any of them are like me, they consider the fact that they may have to use it to defend themselves in an emergency. For that reason, I don't carry a switchblade. (Though I sure wish I could.) If you have to use your knife for self defense, it would probably hurt your case when the cops and/or the jury see a swichblade instead of a "regular" knife. The goofy mindset that a hoodlum carries a switchblade and a boy scout carries a pocket knife will work against you in the criminal justice system.

However, as Razor says, its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. So a switch is better then nothing, in my opinion. Therefore, if someone chooses to carry one, fine by me, that's cool. Just be aware of the possible consequences. And hell, if I were in a state where it's legal to carry, (as you may be?) I'd have one with me every second!

That said, I do have a suggestion for ya. My everyday carry recently has been a German made Hen and Rooster. It's a kind of tactical looking stiletto with a dagger blade. (Side opening.) This knife opens by a unique thumb stud that sticks up about 3/8 inch. Therefore, when closed, the stud sticks up above the handle and it is very easy to pop open the blade with a flick of the thumb. Also, there is some mechanism or design that seats the knife firmly in the handle so the initial force to overcome that setting tends to snap the blade open quite nicely with a little practice. I've actually thought of getting the back of the blade sharpened as it fits completely down in the handle when closed. You can literally run your hand along the front of the closed knife and won't touch the blade at all. To close it, it has a seperate button on top of the handle (makes it look like a switch at first glance) that when pushed, activates the liner lock, then I just lean the knife forward and the blade falls mostly shut. Can finish closing it with the big thumb stud, no problem. Until seeing this knife, I never would of thought a side opener would work well as a double edger. I really like this knife, though I suspect some of my friends are sick of seeing me flick it open then whip my wrist around and snap it shut in a second or two. :D
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Shiver
If I leave the house without a knife then it means I forgot to put my pants on :D
PB
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Shiver,
That Hen & Rooster Stiletto is one of the finest manual stilettos made in my opinion. They are made by FB for Hen & Rooster I'm pretty sure. Great Knife!
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Pushbutton wrote:Shiver
If I leave the house without a knife then it means I forgot to put my pants on :D
PB
I have left the house without my pants. But I always clip my Emerson CQC7 to my boxer shorts when collecting the mail, the newspaper or taking out the trash. :D
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Zed, using a switch for self defense will only get you into more shit with the law. If you have to use a knife make it a fixed blade and learn how to use it or your assailant will have a weapon to use against you.
If you are worried about defending yourself, why not get some training in the martial arts and learn some good street fighting skills.
If you carry a knife for self defense, a lot of LEO's here in Canada will look upon you as the punk and not the victim. If you live in a state that allows concealable weapons, get yourself a good snub nose 38. :D
Have you ever thought of a good pair of police sap gloves, they are very concealable and will knock the shit out of any assailant. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6