RUSSLOCK

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

RUSSLOCK

Post by rapidboy1 »

Vagrant ,Im looking for some background information on CASE - RUSSLOCKs.
They look interesting and i was thinking about adding one to the collection.
I have considered getting one in the past (usually when the latest BKCG catalogue drops through the letter box) but prices here are pretty high.
I see a couple on BA that i might try for.
Any history or user opinions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Rapidboy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Rapidboy
They have been around for about 5 years. The Russ part of the name is the Case worker who invented it. The complete name is elusive at the moment. I have mostly heard mediocre things about it. It looks rather clumsy to operate. I think it was a bone thrown to Case collectors who felt cheated that there was no Case Tactical type knife. :lol:
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've just seen pics. I haven't even heard info/rumors about it :? Sorry I can't help :(
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Every time i see a Case knives advertised it's described as collectable.
Are they collectable or is that a way to sell them because they don't make good users?
I have never owned a CASE.
switchman1

case knives

Post by switchman1 »

Greetings Rapidboy: I have owned many case knives over the years and found them to be excellent users as well as collectible knives. However I have only seen the Russ lock in catalogs and have no personal opinion of that particular knife. My EDC is a Kershaw Blackout but when I want to tone it down a little I carry a case copperlock in jigged red bone.
Best Wishes
Switchman1
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Rapidboy,
I've had a Case Russlock for four years now. Blue bone with a stainless clip point. I open it with two moves, with thumb, cam the blade open to about 90 degrees and finish opening it with my pointing finger. Don't know if that is the "approved" method, but it works for me. The Russlock comes in two blade styles, a clip point and a drop point. Mine is a clip point, I think I would prefer the drop point. I think I would have prefered carbon steel rather than the stainless for the edge holding. I do not know if carbon is available. I like the knife as it is very well made and priced right. It is "socially acceptable" in all circles when deployed. It is comfortable to use. I like a one handed opening, locking blade that is well made, nice to look at, nice to use and attracts no negative attention. A damn fine knife, I would say.

Regards to all,
Sam
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I just bid on a blue jigged bone drop point.
I guess i can decide for myself if i win it.
As i said UK prices are a little high (approx $120.00 + shipping) but at US prices it's worth a look
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Rapidboy
The best way to put it is old Case collectors are just as rabid as we are. They had quite a few tang stamps over the years.various buyouts, Different shields also. You either have to be a wizard with your memory or you would geta book because case also uses the numbering sysytem for there knives as well as a dot system. It can be confusing at first and their are some that command prices in the thousands. There are also a great deal of counterfiet knives out there. A true Case collector never stops doing his homework.
PB
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

So here it is.....

Quite a nice little knife ,shaving sharp out of the box is always a good way to start.
Well finished and as Sam said opens with 1 hand with a little practice.

I spoke to a few people about CASE knives and i understand what PB was saying about them being "..just as rabid as we are."
I showed this knife to one guy who said CASE are no longer using the shield with the stars and stripes.
They stopped using is after 9/11.
Anyone know if it's true?

Cheers
RB1
Last edited by rapidboy1 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpr933

Post by mpr933 »

I believe they started using the "Stars and Stripes" after 9/11.
It looks like your knife is from 2003.

Next to Italian automatics, Case Russlocks are my preferred knife to collect.

Shepherd Hills Cutlery is a good place to order from:
http://www.casexx.com/russlock.htm
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Thanks mpr933
The fit and finish on this little knife is impressive.
No gaps and everything goes together perfectly.
Do CASE make auto's?
The one thing that bugs me about a lot of autos is the poor fit of scales ,bolsters and liners.
Even the more expensive italians look like they could be finished better.
mpr933

Post by mpr933 »

They made some autos in the past, but they are big money now.

Here is a picture I borrowed from an auction:
mpr933

Post by mpr933 »

rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

When you said "big money" you really ment it :!: :shock: :?
Guess i won't be adding that to the collection.