Flip clip

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Flip clip

Post by missaman »

Mr. Vagrent,
I finally picked up a high capacity mag for my Papoose at a local gun show Sunday.
Which leads me to my second question If one was attempting to make a "flip" clip ie attach two clips together end to end what would your suggestion be JB Weld? Would brazing ruin the temper in the spring?
I'm open for ideas thanks Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Flip clip

Post by Vagrant »

missaman wrote:Mr. Vagrent,
I finally picked up a high capacity mag for my Papoose at a local gun show Sunday.
Which leads me to my second question If one was attempting to make a "flip" clip ie attach two clips together end to end what would your suggestion be JB Weld? Would brazing ruin the temper in the spring?
I'm open for ideas thanks Missaman
I'm going to anger some experts with this answer for sure :!:
I don't recomend a "flip clip" for the following reasons:
If you go to a prone position the bottom mag is VERY likely to jam the feed lips into mother earth :!: This is not good :( [On a combat weapon jamming a mag full of dirt, grass, dog sh!+, etc into the action of a gun is a sure way to see that your beneficiaries collect on your life insurance :shock:] [They will remember you quite fondly :D ]
IF one mag becomes damaged and fails to funtion you are still lugging it around with the good one :!:
Depending on the mag release it is FASTER to "dump" the empty with one hand while getting the spare with the other :o [This can actually be almost TWICE as fast as pulling one out reversing it and re-inserting it :idea: ]
I saw two guys "race" on a mag change and the one with seperate mags humiliated the one with a "flip clip" :shock: He had the spare ready to insert as soon as he dropped the first one. Elapsed time less than .7
seconds :D Just under 2 seconds for the "flip clip".
If you HAVE to attatch 2 mags, figure out a way to have them parallel it's much faster to make a lateral move than a reversal. [This is best on guns with an extended mag well not one where the mag seats into the stock].
The only purpose "flip clips" serve [in my opinion] is to look 8) What scares me is this is becoming accepted by various militaries and in combat it may KILL you :shock:
The best way to join them [if I can't talk people out of it] is to make a bracket of some type, soldering/brazing is not good, and any adheasive will fail sooner or later. My extended mags for my 10-22 snap togeather to make a "flip clip" :lol: I have never used this feature [except for keeping them togeather during storage] :wink:
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I've solved the high capacity "flip clip" problem by carrying a whole bunch of single shot rifles - that way there's no jamming. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Missaman,

A "flip-clip" has much in common with holding a pistol sideways.... some think it looks great..... others know it's impractical.... the sad part is that some professionals who should know better actually use flip clips..... such is the power of Hollywood.... even S.W.A.T personel are influenced by what they see on the big (or small) screen.

Best wishes
Teddy