Switchblades of the 1940's, 1950's

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
georgegroot

Switchblades of the 1940's, 1950's

Post by georgegroot »

Have been reading a lot of police novels set in the 1940's-1950's. So many of the characters, Mexican gangsters, Chinese Tong, law enforcement, etc. etc. carry switchblades. I was wondering what the switchblade of choice would be? Italian, American etc. ? Also, my mother grew up in that era and would tell me stories about the zoot suiters and how they all carried switchblades. Same question, what kind? My interest in switchblades began when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's and I only had tv and movies to go by which may have only used what was in the prop room. Would like to hear from any switchblade historians out there.
JulesVane

Re: Switchblades of the 1940's, 1950's

Post by JulesVane »

I'm fairly sure the novels and stories exaggerated the carry of switchblades just as much as the movies did. I wasn't around back in the late 40', early 50's, but I'm fairly sure when they were legal and readily available, they probably didn't have quite the same mystique as we have today being they are "taboo" now (due to those novels, stories & movies). Just my thoughts on carry and could be very wrong.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

All I can recall is seeing what looked like Italian stilettos from those old movies.
Modern movies, more recent, still use the classic Italian stiletto, but I’ve seen otf’s and German made lever locks.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There were an awful lot of American switchblades sold in that era (and before), too.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

We bought swithblades in the "dime stores " in the 50s and 60s. American, of course.