Question about switchblades

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Steven

Question about switchblades

Post by Steven »

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, and is probably even common knowledge, but what I want to know is this: When storing a side-opening switchblade, should I keep the blade in the open position to relieve pressure on the spring? Thanks for any help.
sammy the blade

Re: Question about switchblades

Post by sammy the blade »

It has been determined that it doesn't matter. Whichever makes you feel better.
2024 candidate for president
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The common conclusion is the rapid opening and closing of the knife does the most damage as it heats up the spring. Storing it closed or opened should not matter.
john

Post by john »

According to many respected collectors of rare vintage switchblade knives it really doesn’t matter if the knife is stored open or closed. And, I do believe they right, however, I store 99% of my Italian switchblades open and few closed.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

If the kick spring has been properly heat treated, there should be no problem keeping the knife closed. That will, however, put strain on the sear and the sear hole in the liner. These can deform and cause blade peak.

I once owned a 1939 Packard Twelve with a custom body that weighed about 6300 lbs. The springs needed to be refurbished and re-tempered as the high weight of the vehicle had over-stressed the original springs. The body builder had not taken that into account or may have reasoned that the springs would likely last the life of the car as back then no one really thought of cars as collectible. So there are instances where springs can lose some of their springiness.

In any case, I subscribe to the approach john has outlined and keep the vast majority of my knives in the open position.
Attachments
39-3.jpg
39-3.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 14414 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That car is pimp!
2024 candidate for president
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the advise everyone. Most helpful. BTW, I do not own a "vast majority" of switchblades... Four, to be exact. And only one Frank B that might be considered of any worth. Thanks again, though.
Tempus Fugit

Post by Tempus Fugit »

Great advice just the same. The collective knowledge here would make a great book!
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

I store mine closed but only because I haven’t built a display yet, I do flick them once or twice but always close with the button pushed in and when opening sometimes, don’t want to be the one breaking the spring after nearly 70 years :)

Joe
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I vote for open,but that's just me,I have been collecting for 42 year's,and never have had a spring break.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I emailed Frank about this, got a reply from his daughter, Sara. She said that Frank's recommendation is that the knife is stored open, but seemed more concerned in her letter that I have a safe place to keep all these open knives. I too have yet to build a proper display. They're in a steamer trunk.

The weak point is definitely the sear, which will more than likely give out before the spring does. Sara did not mention anything about the sear, only talking about keeping the spring's strength. I say both of them will benefit from being left open. Just keep it somewhere safe!
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sears and springs don't wear from being in a static position-either open or closed. Movement causes wear.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Snickers

Post by Snickers »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 am Sears and springs don't wear from being in a static position-either open or closed. Movement causes wear.
The difference is that when closed it's stressed while open it's relaxed. If properly made stress wouldn't matter in this case.