sharpening stones

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kct6

sharpening stones

Post by kct6 »

Hi was wondering what is the best stone to use on a plain blade that is 4". Also does the eletric knife sharpeners work good or do diamond stones work good???
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Well, depends on how much ya want to get into it.
I have a set of ceramic crox sticks for a quick touch up if needed. I also use a carbon sharpener if the touch up is in need of a tad more effort. But if an entire sharpening session is in order I have a Lansky Sharpening system with clamp and guide rods, came with three stone and have added two others. After about 1/2 hour with this system my knives are like new and sharp as hell. I even used it to sharpen the false swedge on one of my balisong knives, back side is now razor sharp and took less time then I thought it would using the rough stone. All depends on what kind of effort and how much you'd like to spend.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

stepdaddy wrote:Well, depends on how much ya want to get into it.
I have a set of ceramic crox sticks for a quick touch up if needed. I also use a carbon sharpener if the touch up is in need of a tad more effort. But if an entire sharpening session is in order I have a Lansky Sharpening system with clamp and guide rods, came with three stone and have added two others. After about 1/2 hour with this system my knives are like new and sharp as hell. I even used it to sharpen the false swedge on one of my balisong knives, back side is now razor sharp and took less time then I thought it would using the rough stone. All depends on what kind of effort and how much you'd like to spend.

SD
Lansky [and Gatco] are the easiest to use. Diamond and ceramic work well. A lot is up to the individual, I've seen VERY sharp edges put on a knife using a piece of fine sandpaper glued to a dead flat surface. I use a belt sander and a "sharpening steel" but this requires LOTS of pratice on scrap steel before attempting it on a real knife. [It's very easy to get the knife hot and draw the temper ruining it].
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

For a stone with no frills that gets the job done but can be pricey is a DMT fine and extra fine in the biggest size you can afford. Or you can wade your way through all sorts of natural stones some costing as much as DMT like the Japanese waterstones. But they last forever.
PB
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Im using water stone almost exclusively these days... cheaper than the DMT, but still good results.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Get the Razor Edge-the best kit you can afford, and you'll never want for a sharp blade.
A small pocket steel or hone is good for the field.
I've owned a thousand dollars worth of sharpening gadgets in my life-Razor Edge was the first one I bought, and still the best.
I'm in the process of reconstituting my kit, after years of trying other things, because it's the best there is, for my money.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I broke down before Christmas and bought myself an edge pro apex.
really sweet, and fairly idiot proof.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Doc Rocket

Post by Doc Rocket »

I've always loved my Lansky Diamond Sharpening Kit. Keeps an abaslutly perfect sharpening angle on the blade.
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...