CHROME VANADIUM?

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Mr Guano, You have not said which model of Case you have, I'd like to know.
As you probably know before the days of stainless steel, folks used to use sterling silver bladed knives for fruit. However my father and both grandfathers were rather plain folks and used only carbon steel knives for everything. They did not care a bit if the knife blade was brown. Both meat and vegetable was cut with the same knife, no one was poisoned. Sometimes the knife was wiped off on the grass or on my fathers work trousers and closed in virtually one motion. I've seen him wet a serviette (paper napkin) with saliva or pour a little Beer on it and wipe the blade clean. Do not despare Guano, Carbon steel knifes bring back memories of summer days, good eating and good men that were role models. A carbon steel blade when sharpened properly has bite, it has tooth more than stainless but less than damascus. If you are cutting the legs from a rabbit or a squirrel and twist the blade as you cut through the tendons, you can chip the stainless blade edge. Stainless does not exhibit the tolerance for lateral pressure without chipping. With a carbon steel blade it will not chip. When skinning small game with soft pelts, stainless edges are too slippery and lack tooth, carbon has the tooth that is needed. Carbon is a working mans blade and about the best there is. Stainless is for a working man around to salt water like a fisherman. Stainless is for the gentleman or gentlewoman or the collector. Use your knife with pride, keep it clean with soap and water after cutting food, wipe the blade with mineral oil and keep the joints oiled. Sharpen it to about 25 degrees on each side. It will last you a lifetime and be a good companion. Chrome Vanadium or carbon makes for a fine blade.
Sam
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

They have had alot of Case knives on BA lately at pretty decent prices.
I love the copperlock and the cheetah, but those are pretty standard popular conversion knives, so I dont think thats a surprise to anyone...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Sam Hotton wrote:If you are cutting the legs from a rabbit or a squirrel and twist the blade as you cut through the tendons, you can chip the stainless blade edge.
I challenge any squirrel tendon to try and chip the stainless blades on my ProTech or MicroTech knives!
However, it's extremely unlikely that they will ever get anywhere close to rodent innards. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A knife can be tempered hard or tough. Tough and you can bend it 180 without chipping or breaking, but it won't hold an edge. Too hard and it will chip or break. Finding a compromise is why there are many steels and many tempering methods. If it chips you're using the wrong steel for your purposes, [or the tempering was off]. Chipping when cutting tendos is usually due to the blade hitting the bone too hard when the tendon is cut especially if it hits less than perfectly straight.
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Sam Hotton wrote:Mr Guano, You have not said which model of Case you have, I'd like to know.
I almost didn't know which it was myself (just got it today),
but it's THIS one. Canoe Amber bone...

Haven't really had a chance to look it over properly yet, much less testing it.
But I can already agree that the blade has a different sort of bite than stainless.
It feels almost like micro mini serrations on the skin (yes of course I tried it on my left arm right away... :D ).

I really appreciate your input on this topic, Sam!
I'll get back to you when I get a little more experience with the knife.

Thanks,
Mr_G

PS hmm cleaning with beer? sounds like me.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Mr Guano,

That's just an ordinary, common everyday, practical pocket knife!
We don't need YOUR TYPE on this forum. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

The Falcon wrote:Mr Guano,

That's just an ordinary, common everyday, practical pocket knife!
We don't need YOUR TYPE on this forum. :wink:
HEY! It's got SSS blades! Doesn't that count for anything?
Is MY TYPE welcome again?! :twisted:

Tss, I know you're kiddin' :)
I just like those pocket knives, darnit.

Mr_G
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Mr_Guano,

Re your signature line.

Are you SURE about that?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

no!