CHROME VANADIUM?

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mr_Guano

CHROME VANADIUM?

Post by Mr_Guano »

Dear Dr. Vagrant...

I ordered me a knife where the ad says:
Knifecenter wrote:CHROME VANADIUM KNIVES Some knife lovers will settle for nothing less than mirror polished chrome vanadium blades. This special formula of alloyed steel takes on a unique and traditional appearance and makes it easy to bring back a blade's original keen edge.
But I wonder how the edgeholding will be on one of these?
And what exactly IS chrome vanadium?
Is "special formula" something that will flake off the blade after a while?
Like on my bicycle handles?
(sure I could have used the search thingy, but that way I could never submit another post... all the Q's and A's are already out there.)

Mr_G

PS the knife in question is one from CaseXX
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Thats Case's name for there secret shit steel. You want the carbon steel. Not the Chrome vandium which sounds like a new type of car bumper.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Highveld Steel and Vanadium Corporation Limited (NASDAQ (SC): HSVLY [ADR])
Old Pretoria Main Rd., PO Box 111
Witbank, Mpumalanga 1035, South Africa
Phone: +27-136909911
Fax: +27-136903332

Covered by Troy Bryant

Highveld Steel and Vanadium is one of the world's leading producers of vanadium, a silvery, soft metal highly resistant to corrosion and used primarily as a steel-strengthening element. The company mines its own ore for its steelworks and also produces carbonaceous products and ferro-alloys. In 2002 the company disposed of its Columbus Stainless joint venture (with Samancor and the Industrial Development Corporation), which makes rolled, plate, and coiled stainless steel. UK-based conglomerate Anglo American owns about 80% of Highveld Steel and Vanadium.

A quick answer as to why vanadium is put in steel.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Pushbutton wrote:Thats Case's name for there secret shit steel.
If I ever see "SSS" stamped on a blade, now I'll know what it means. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Hola.

See, I knew I didn't do my steel-homework...
Guess the knife will only be useful as a gift.
(HOWEVER, I never really need a knife for anything other than peeling oranges, so the steel doesn't have 1. priority with me.)

But to make up for the terrible terrible mistake of ordering a knife with SSS,
I made an order for a D2-blade (Bog Dog by SwampRat knifeworks).

D2 = good. Right?
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will).

Mr_G

note to mom:
BRING THE DAMN HEINEKEN OR I WONT EAT MY PORRIDGE!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

D-2 is an excellent choice on a good user. You do have to take care of it though.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

D-2 is considered "semi stainless" it has many qualities of carbon steel. But it is more rust resistant than most other carbon steels because of the high chrome content 12% [stainless starts at 13% or 14% depending on who is defining it]. It appears to be the best compromise between high alloy stainless steels and simple carbon steels.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
How come you have the ability to sound like a chemist metal researcher at times? :wink:
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:Al
How come you have the ability to sound like a chemist metal researcher at times? :wink:
PB
I've tried to read all I can on steel. And I still think I know only the bare minimum. The reasons various alloys are added can get confusing in a hurry. Vanadium is a soft metal but when added to [some] steel[s] it improves hardness. Experts who know what they're doing can tell what is needed and why. I just repeat what I've read.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
Thats why I keep a steel printout next to my computer. But I also keep my answers short and to the point otherwise I fall asleep typing all those long funny sounding words and percentages Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
PB
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Guano,
I don't think that I'd want to use Chrome Vanadium for cutting fruit. Case is saying that they use only two steels in their pocket knives at present. One is the Chrome Vanadium and the other is stainless. To quote Case " Extra care is needed with Chrome Vanadium. Keep a thin film of oil on the blade to maintain the finish of the steel". Last night I made the mistake of carrying a highly polished texas toothpick and cutting some marinated mushrooms, found out I'd selected a chrome Vanadium rather than the stainless twin. The blade went instantly blue and brown. When I got home I had to wash the blade and polish it with Solvol Autosol to get it bright again. Stick with the stainless for mangling oranges and fruit. I'm too old and too tired for bathing and polishing steel after a snack.
Sam
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Sam
Truer words have never been spoken. People don't realize all the cleaning that we put into our knives. Collecting knives is a labor of love cause they have to be taken care of.
PB
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening PB,
Are ye mending lad, I'm sure noticing by your postings a bit of the old PB coming on line. The bruise should be just about gone by now and you must be feeling a mite better. Walking every chance will improve things, I've been there remember.
Yes PB, a fine piece of steel does require looking after, and when you take care of them they get more beautiful as the years pass. I must confess to enjoy just being the custodian during my lifetime for some of these old blades.

Keep moving,
Sam
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Mr Hotton,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Ch. Vanadium.
I really appreciate (all) comments, but can't help wondering
what I can use this blade for... letters? hell, I never get any mail apart from e-mail...
Instead of babying the steel, maybe I'll just let it get that 'old' look?

Anyways, thanks to all for enlightening me a little bit about steel!

Mr_Guano - grateful as ever
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Thanks Sam
Yeah it's light purple now and I can get around fine except when my wifes around :wink: I go back the 27th for phase 2 he'll tell me drugs or a pacemaker or such since I still have afib cause of a misfiring valve.
PB