question about German knives

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
musicman

question about German knives

Post by musicman »

Hi:

I am a Canadian and new to TalkBlade.
Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

I recently discovered a box of knives in my basement and am trying to research them. For 3 of them I can't find another example on Google Images.
The first is 9 5/8 inches long.
It has a Fleur de lis in the black handle, a saw back, a metal sheath and has the Gustav Branner logo with SOLINGEN underneath and ROSTFREI beside it. I have found other " Boy Scout " knives which are very similar but none by Branner and none with an identical saw back

The second knife is 8 7/8 inches long and has MIBRO SOLINGEN GERMANY on on side and #841 on the other.
I have found a similar shaped knife, listed as a BOWIE knife COMPASS BRAND 841 but with a different handle. Mine is like candy striped with red, yellow, black and brown stacked rings. The leather sheath has a moose head pressed into it.

The third knife is 9 3/8 inches long, has BUFFALO BRAND on one side and RUKO SOLINGEN on the other.
The handle is a white pearlized material and the blade is serpentine.
Of the three knives, it is in the best condition with no scratches, has never been sharpened, and has a only a couple of small stains where the words are written ( where the knife and sheath meet)

Any idea when they were made?
Are they uncommon knives given that I cannot find another identical image in Google?
If I were to try to sell them on TALKBLADE how much should I ask?

Thank you for any and all help that you can provide.

I hope that I have attached the photos correctly.

Regards,

Sam
Attachments
2017 DAGGER 1.jpg
2017 DAGGER 1.jpg (575.78 KiB) Viewed 12791 times
2017 KNIFE MULTI COLOR HANDLE 1.jpg
2017 KNIFE MULTI COLOR HANDLE 1.jpg (451.61 KiB) Viewed 12791 times
2017 KNIFE BOY SCOUT 1.jpg
2017 KNIFE BOY SCOUT 1.jpg (551.37 KiB) Viewed 12791 times
sammy the blade

Re: question about German knives

Post by sammy the blade »

Nice find!
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

Fabulous knives. I can’t tell you anything about them, but the kris is my favorite out of your trio of fixed blades.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

music man

I believe the knives were made during the 1960s -70s.
As you have already said the fleur Dr lis knife is a German scout knife or pfadfinder ,which was based on the Hitler youth knives of ww2.
Your saw backed example is less common and its always nice to see the Gustav banner mark on knives as its cool.

The striped knife is marked Milbro.....I believe this is retailed by Millard brothers was a Sports retailer of fishing and shooting ,hunting etc more than a maker of knives with goods marked from Germany ,Ireland and even Glasgow Scotland .In the late 1970s I had a Milbro Cougar air pistol I loved and it was bought from Scotland .

Type in Millard brothers on Google and you may find more about your knife.

I love the buffalo brand ruko knife in pearlex and kriss blade.
Again I would do a search but that is a beautiful little knife and sheath ....typically German by the sheath style and the ball quillion guard ,not seen many kriss blades though.
Lovely 8)

Nice knives to have
I hope that helps a bit and welcome here

geavknife
musicman

Post by musicman »

Hi:

Thank you so much for your welcome and help.

I'll definitely check out the Millard Bros reference.

I have tried to research the Ruko knife but have hit a dead end other than to find out that the company still exists and sells knives etc.

I have discovered some pocket knives in the box as well,including a Shrade Cut. Co. double bladed switch blade.
It has some dirt, etc on it.
How would you suggest that I clean it and the plastic handle?

Would it be possible to suggest a reasonable selling price for each of the knives on the TALKBLADE site?

I understand that it is not an auction so I would have to have a desired price in mind.

I could try Ebay, but perhaps Talk Blade would reach more serious collectors.

Thanks again.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

music man

If you do sell them here you need at least 25 posts to do so.It's one of the forums rules here I'm afraid.

To be honest most people here are switchblade collectors but I believe many do have a passion for certain fixed blades ....me being one of them.

I personally think that the kriss bladed ruko will fetch the most money.If the German audience saw it on ebay they would snap it up imho I love it ,looks classy and I havnt seen many with a Kriss blade,and the lovely ww1 private purchase hunting knife type sheath

This is not to impune the other knives in anyway as the Millard is nicely done on the handle by solingen craftsmen aswell.Blade looks very Scandinavian /Finland looking to me

The pfadfinder scout knife is a more common knife but still it would sell as it has its sheath and it's a saw back with a fun Gustav branner headstamp, that usually demands more attention .

As for the double bladed Scrade cut switchblade don't try and clean it ...post a picture here for some expert help .People like to clean their own knives ,or not clean them ...it leaves them a choice and you cant go wrong leaving them be ...well maybe oil the joints slightly .
I'm intrigued to see the 2 blader myself..
I will leave a value for the Scrade to the more discerning switchblade collectors here.when they see a picture of it .I have no American switchblades and i must remedy that one day .

Im really sorry ...I don't like giving values on knives as they fluctuate so much
I don't want to raise your hopes only then to be wrong
.I have bought rare very cheaply and overspent on knives.as it was a grail knife to me ..it isnt an exact science ..my advice learn more about the fixed bladed knives and their rarity on various bladeforums and ebay for comparison ,and by the way try not to get hooked whilst attending these . :)

Post a picture here of the Schrade double blade and see what you have ,you may get 25 posts quicker than you think and great advice on it whilst you wait

It's great looking up knives and you have the beginnings of a nice fixed blade collection there .

Good to meet you here and good luck

gravknife
sammy the blade

Great advice Ian! If you want to sell them you should do it on Ebay, some knives are going for way more than they are worth.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Thank you again for your input. I understand that prices can fluctuate.

You mentioned that there are various blade forums. Are there some that are more inclusive than others?

Which ones would you recommend ?

As you suggested,I have attached a photo of the Schrade Switchblade. One blade says Schrade Cut. Co. Walden NY. and the other says US Pats Dec 2, 09 etc.

As you can see there is dirt on the blade and in the release and lock buttons. I also wonder about cleaning inside where the blades are stored.

Thanks
musicman

Post by musicman »

Thank you again for your input. I understand that prices can fluctuate.

You mentioned that there are various blade forums. Are there some that are more inclusive than others?

Which ones would you recommend ?

As you suggested,I have attached a photo of the Schrade Switchblade. One blade says Schrade Cut. Co. Walden NY. and the other says US Pats Dec 2, 09 etc.

As you can see there is dirt on the blade and in the release and lock buttons. I also wonder about cleaning inside where the blades are stored.

Thanks
Attachments
2017 SWITCHBLADE 2.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 2.jpg (412.56 KiB) Viewed 12687 times
2017 SWITCHBLADE 1.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 1.jpg (523.88 KiB) Viewed 12687 times
sammy the blade

If your going to sell it I'd leave it as is.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Thanks for the input.

Should I at least oil the mechanism?

Thanks
musicman

Post by musicman »

Does anyone know if the pattern on the Schrade Double Blade has a name?

I have seen names like candy stripe or candy cane.....................does mine fit into one of those categories?

Thanks