Wally's Real Blade Question#1

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Wally's Real Blade Question#1

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Vagrant-

It seems highly doubtful that anything will come of my newest ploy to acquire an 11" Kriss swing guard, so here is my query- If'n I was to utilize my new, practically round bench grinder wheel unto one of your bayo swings that Bonzo triple charged me for, in the goofy attempt to wavy up the blade, how or what would I do to replace or restore the shiny finish?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I would hesitate trying it myself, BUT to restore the finish [not the same as Finnish, they seem o.k.] Use progressively finer sanding belt [on a belt sander] or sheets [on a palm sander] until you reach at least 400 grit [600 is much better]. Using a worn belt or sheet for the final step before going to a buffer [white rouge works great on the buffer]. PLEASE be very careful with a buffer it enjoys waiting for inattention to give it the chance it needs to show you who's boss.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Wally
Your gonna suck the temper right out. Now this might sound stupid and you already thought of it but what about buying a 11"cheapie with a kriss taking that blade out and trying to modify it to fit? A lot less work then regrinding shitty steel to begin with..
PB
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. Pushbutton-

I had thought about that route, too. However, aren't the blade- open- lock-up systems different enough to warrant some type of real metalsmithing to modify ? I know it's a fool's errand with the grinder, but I at least have access to it unsupervised, whereas, due to a slight incident, (no need to go into that now ), I am not allowed near any torch or welding type playthings. It seems AS though you know what to do, Mr. Bestpalbutton, so if'n you'd be so gullible, oops, I mean kind AS to do it for me, there's 12 bucks and a case of MB in it for ya'.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Wally
Here are your obstacles.
Swinger is a rear button release that fits into a L shaped groove. the blade from the cheapie will have the small stud for the locking tab. Thats no big deal to get rid of. Both blades will have holes for the pins to keep shut. I don't know how a swinger lines up with a stiletto. Now another thing is Ebay is alway selling Kissing Crane manuals some with kriss blades. If you went this route you could drill your own hole. Remember when we were kids this would be a question for ask the Wizard. Why don't you try PM Bill if it can be done he will tell you right off the bat and it might save you a lot of time searching for the holy grail.
PB
Wally J. Corpse

Twelve bucks and the MB doesn't do it for ya', 'eh ? I suppose I should ask a qualified bladesmith, but I was hoping for someone to just shut me up by sending me a completed unit on credit. I'm fairly creditable- just ask any of my creditors, except the guy at Lenny's Liqour Locker, his opinion doesn't count.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse

P.S. I would be willing to exchange a pristine Mauser C-96 in 9mm, complete with shoulder stock and harness for an equal value in 11" Kriss swing guards.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Wally
Thays what I love about ya. You start a normal thread asking a how to question and 5 posts later its fuck all this bull shit give me the knife I'll give you a broomstick. You know you 47 year old bag of bones things would be pretty dull without you around ya prick ya.
PB
Wally J. Corpse

That's a 'Broomhandle' you senile ol' feeb. And I'm still a youthful 46, until the 13th, should I un-live so long. For my birthday, I'm going to send you a present. Entirely harmless, non-explosive, mostly, and not the physical embodiment or dis-embodiment of a rumored Big Slight.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Hey either way it will sweep out the trash.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If that PushBroom was in .30 instead of 9, I'd would be seriously looking at my grind, um make that seriously looking for a swinging Kris all over the place :)
Is it a "Red Nine" or the very rare 9mm Mauser export? [different and hotter].
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: Wally's Real Blade Question#1

Post by Bonzo »

Wally J. Corpse wrote:... your bayo swings that Bonzo triple charged me for....

Mr. Corpse,

I'll remember that upon your next knife request. I just might include that Merlin as a bonus to my Attorney upon the reading of my will. Also, may your plywood eyeball fall out and roll into the sewer, and Nurse Nemesis give you the gift that a good dose of penicilan cant cure.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Wally's Real Blade Question#1

Post by Vagrant »

Bonzo wrote:
Wally J. Corpse wrote:... your bayo swings that Bonzo triple charged me for....

Mr. Corpse,

I'll remember that upon your next knife request. I just might include that Merlin as a bonus to my Attorney upon the reading of my will. Also, may your plywood eyeball fall out and roll into the sewer, and Nurse Nemesis give you the gift that a good dose of penicilan cant cure.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Serves him right for using you as a "middle man".
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Sadly, flamboyant or wavy blades are not ground, they're forged that way, by hand, or with dies(in the case of production knives, often drop forged with dies.).
A pal of mine(God rest his soul, the rummy) showed me how easy it was to forge wavy blades with the use of dies he made himself.
Had he been able to stay sober for any length of time, you'd know his name, he was a better knife maker on his third piece than many another who'd been at it for decades.
Sadly, Captain Morgan kicked his ass into the grave before he was forty, and he made maybe ten knives, total.
Drunks never finish anything they start.
Just buy the knife, or if nobody produces one, talk to a custom maker-thy can use a production knife and just fabricate a blade for it.
Or maybe it's the thrill of the hunt for you?
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mors Profundus wrote:
Drunks never finish anything they start.
I beg to differ Mors. One thing I always finished was the bottle 8)
PB
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Sounds like you finished the last one a while ago-good for you, bunk, a frind of Bill is a friend of mine!
Life has no value, but death has it's price