coricama 11 inch kriss blade find

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
douglip

coricama 11 inch kriss blade find

Post by douglip »

I discovered an old switchblade while helping an old friend clean her house. She said it was her dead husbands and that I should go have fun with my new toy.it is an 11 inch long Coricama with horn handles and a kriss blade, the squigly one, right?. The little red dot is inlaid on the saftey. it is in perfect shape. No chips, cracks, appears to have never been sharpened. No rust at all. Does have a nice patina. Any thoughts to value? I read a post that claimed only one known example of this knife out there. Is that true.
daddyloko

Re: coricama 11 inch kriss blade find

Post by daddyloko »

let's see it... :(
redeye

Post by redeye »

We need pics sounds like a nice piece
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
douglip

Post by douglip »

Been trying to post pics. Keeps saying file is too large. Any ideas?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

douglip wrote:Been trying to post pics. Keeps saying file is too large. Any ideas?
Hi Doug...Are you using PhotoBucket to post pics? Remember, you have to use a public image sharing site like PhotoBucket and not a private PC or phone. You should be able to upload to PhotoBucket, click on your picture, and on the right, copy the URL for that picture and paste and it in your post. I too had issues with file size until I tried this. Hope it helps...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
douglip

Post by douglip »

Still trying to add photos. Photo bucket seems to be troublesome.
douglip

Post by douglip »

Hope this works. If so I will post a few more.
Hope this works. If so I will post a few more.
orca_share_media1500445052846.jpg (445.59 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Picture came through fine and looks like an amazing piece! I wish I knew more about rarity and values, but I know what "looks" good lol. You are correct that PhotoBucket is "troublesome". We are currently looking for other options. What image uploader did you use? Again, a beautiful piece. Can't wait for those more knowledgable to chime in....Of course, more pics please...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
douglip

Post by douglip »

This was from a FB picture. I will get some better ones up soon. Wondering if I should clean and polish this knife or is it best left as is. I see pics of the 13 inch everyone raved about and it certainly had been polished.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

douglip wrote:This was from a FB picture. I will get some better ones up soon. Wondering if I should clean and polish this knife or is it best left as is. I see pics of the 13 inch everyone raved about and it certainly had been polished.
Months of reading through older posts all say "Don't do anything to it". As a "newer" collector myself, my first thoughts are to clean up an older knife, but I've come to learn (read) that's a BIG "no no".

douglip

Post by douglip »

That's what I thought. It would be nice to see it all shiny and new but the truth is the patina tells a story. I did clean the dust off a bit but that is as far as I am going.
DonC

Post by DonC »

For vintage knives like yours don't touch it other than wiping if off and, maybe, a very small amount of oil in the blade pivot. They can be shined up and they look pretty good but you'll destroy the value to a large portion of the community.
DonC
douglip

Post by douglip »

Thanks Don. It really is beautiful just the way it is.
douglip

Post by douglip »

I am guessing the plastic red dot is earlier than the painted ones. Any info on the years they made the 11 inch kriss with the plastic. And were these made one by one by a certain knife builder or assembly line stuff. I watched the old film about the knife factory. Pretty cool. Love knowing a bit of history. Oh no. I may get the bug and start collecting these things.
douglip

Post by douglip »

What are the laws concerning buying knives. If I ordered a new leverlock auto is there problems. I noticed some are sold as kits.