MIL-C-11796C Class 3

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

MIL-C-11796C Class 3

Post by Viking45 »

Thought that title might stir up some curiosity.
My question for Al or anyone familiar with cosmoline and/or especially the removal of.

Back in April of 2010 just days before his passing my good friend and neighbor gave me his WW II bayonet.
He had sons but they cared more about his property and personal belongings than their father so he made a special point to see to it I received this knife.

I don't want to completely clean the knife just get the small amounts of cosmoline from around the guard/blade and the butt.
It is reddish brown where it's still "juicy" but some areas it has hardened into a wax-like varnish.
He told me the knife was never used in any way and remained under his bunk from day one. He's not kidding, the point is still like a needle and the factory edge is untouched.

It's an M4 (US M4) bayonet with leather stack handle and designed to fit the M1 Carbine in 1944.

He would come over to my garage and have me run and get him some chewin' tobaccy because his wife didn't like it. He would always ask me if I had one of them "fancy" beers and we would sit and talk, mostly him telling me war stories, and sip a couple of Czech beers.
I took a gamble and did a search and found this about my dear old friend.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/news-l ... =144067612
sammy the blade

Re: MIL-C-11796C Class 3

Post by sammy the blade »

If it's not to big you can put it in the oven and melt it off, just don't get it too hot.
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I'm guessing you meant "conventional" oven....? Thanks Sam, this is the new me now after putting a radioactive WW II knife in the microwave.
Oh well I've had worse days. 8)
Attachments
burning.jpg
burning.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Wow, looks like you'll be wearing asbestos undies from now on. Sorry!
2024 candidate for president