Stoner 63

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Stoner 63

Post by Viking45 »

No Pete I ain't talking about you smoking weed in the early 60's :lol:

I am no firearm expert but am fairly familiar with most American military rifles so I feel kinda dumb because i never heard of the Stoner 63 until I stumbled on it today doing a search.
This thing is pretty wicked but like Eugene Stoner's M16 it is particular and needs to be kept clean and lubed.
Anyone here have any experience with this rifle or are familiar with it in any way?
A light machine gun that fires the 5.56 NATO and came in two configurations- Magazine and belt fed. Pretty nasty little gun.
Doing some looking around it says about 4000 were made and only the SEALS and a handful of Marines used them in Vietnam.
stoner_63-1.jpg
stoner_63-1.jpg (23.69 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
Stoner 63.jpg
Stoner 63.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
Here's a video if anyone is interested-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zb8OgPwf5Q
sammy the blade

Re: Stoner 63

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks to be piston operated instead of gas which I think is better! I have two ar's which I like shooting and a yougo AK which imop is a better weapon. AK's are piston operated and much more reliable. That stoner is way cool though.
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I agree about the AK, one of it's benefits is it's loose play/tolerance which allows for dirt,sand etc.
If I could afford it I would buy the Finnish made Valmet with a milled receiver, many say it is the finest version of an AK.
I think Al has one :?:

Even a used one can bring about four grand so I won't be owning one any time soon.
Attachments
Valmet M76W.jpg
Valmet M76W.jpg (138.82 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
sammy the blade

I had a galil and I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling it. It had a milled receiver that made it kinda heavy, mags were $35 but it had a 18 in. barrel, side folding stock. Reliable as an AK and accurate to boot.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Sam I have one and would never sell it. The most robust rifle I have ever held and never one misfire or jam even with the crappiest ammo.
Heavy little b*stard but a trash truck could run over this thing and not hurt it.
I have three of the original steel 35 round mags and about half a dozen of the polymer 30 rnd Tapco mags. The Tapco's are made in the USA and are a bargain at less than 15 bucks a piece. Lifetime warranty.
It was Midway USA that had them on sale a year or so back.
Not sure why but this thing seems quite a bit louder than an AR, any ideas on that?

Too bad the butt is cut off in the picture but for those not familiar the butt folds and is solid steel, this rifle feels like a solid piece of steel, no rattles what-so-ever just a lean,mean killing machine 8)
(right click on the photo and hit View Image for a bigger pic)
Attachments
Golani02.jpg
Golani02.jpg (387.97 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
sammy the blade

Could be the muzzle brake
. Mine was a century golani and the only mags I could find were the steel 35 rd. mags. Been awhile back and I don't think there were any aftermarket mags. at the time. I don't recall it being excessively loud but it was probably 10 years ago. I had a CETME and that gun was loud. I'd fire that rifle and people at the range would back off. I'd use ear plugs and muffs when I shot it .308 and the galil was 5.56
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Yeah this is a Golani Sporter and funny you mentioned the CETME, my brother has one and compared to a 308 bolt rifle that thing was much louder.
We were down in a holler and that thing seemed to echo forever.
I actually love the CETME and would like to get one someday.
Attachments
CETME.jpg
CETME.jpg (149.97 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
redeye

Post by redeye »

Viking45 wrote:Yeah this is a Golani Sporter and funny you mentioned the CETME, my brother has one and compared to a 308 bolt rifle that thing was much louder.
We were down in a holler and that thing seemed to echo forever.
I actually love the CETME and would like to get one someday.

I have a CETME and love it too, it is loud as yall say lol damn accurate though I shot a fox from 335 yds with iron sites . Rolled him up innalittle ball of bloody fur
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
sammy the blade

At that range it would have to be an elephant for me to see it.