buck auto

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
paulbetts

buck auto

Post by paulbetts »

HI there i wonderd if any one could advise me wich buck auto conversion is best to buy, coil or leaf spring , in the event spring faliure Ive seen coil springs advertised but not leaf springs only for hubertus thanks paul
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

PVK sells the 110 Finger Groove Nickle Silver. Coil fired and they are very fine knives.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The first ones from Cumberland were leaf. They had a fire and re-emerged I believe as the Co that makes the SandShark Desert something. I do not know who is converting 110's now using a coil.
PB
paulbetts

Post by paulbetts »

thanks roccomo and pushbutton ime new to switchblades and intending to buy my first , ive looked at hundreds of pix now but only like the look of buck and the typhoon listed on s k m new age autos , have you seen ? must go out now thanks again paul
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Paul one thing to keep in mind is the 110 is a heavy bastard to carry without a sheath.
PB
paulbetts

buck

Post by paulbetts »

hi pushbutton i was thinking duke or 112, have you seen the typoon Paul
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Welcome Paul! You might send an e-mail to Stu on BA when you decide what you want. Ask him what he has. There are many fakes out there being passed off as real, and my understanding is that his are real, plus his prices are usually the best.

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

Paul Make sure your buck comes with the leather sheath and buck box there are clones out there that won't come with the paperwork etc.
I have the 110 and 112 they are very nice knives
Stay away from tizzybea she has been selling clones.
A real buck will be stamped with their logo, the clones are lazer etched with the buck logo, deal with someone on the good ones list.
Enjoy your new knife when you get it. Welcome to the fun house
Missaman 8)
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome Paulbetts. Follow the advice, it's all good. I also perfer the Buck 112 for edc, the 110 is heavy but a great work horse.
The Duke is also another solid knife, small enough that you won't even know you are carry it.
The 112 has a leaf spring and never had any probelms with it and i have carried it for over a year on and off and put it through its paces.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I prefer the 112 to the 110 but the 500 [Duke] is also available. I have NO experience with it and reports have varied from so-so [1 or 2 people] to Fantastic [several]. The Bucks are solid [and heavy] and have a great reputation. I know Stu had the "real thing" and I assume Josh [PVK] also does. There are so many choices [beyond just Buck] I don't know how anyone can decide. Microtech, Protech, Benchmade, Woodard [Fer-De-Lance], The Leverletto, any of the Italian Leverlocks, the Randall King Swift Striker see [bad] photo etc. etc. Good Luck! [I posted several pics of MTs on blade photo thread earlier
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

paulbetts,

Vagrant makes a good point. The Buck coil conversion (by S.W.A.T.) is way nice at $160.00. You could get an equal workhorse of a knife for way less $ -like a third the price- in a Leverlock. They are also a lot more pocketable.
mister re-man

Post by mister re-man »

paulbetts - i have a buck 500 and love the knife , but with nickel bolsters and nice rosewood inlay it's not something i like to use as an everyday knife.
Imho i'd have to agree with the guys and suggest an inexspensive leverlock or one of the cheap buck clones. i just saw one on either ebay or the blade auction. it was 440 steel and the same shape as a buck 110 but short money.http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=721206
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Oriental LLs I had did NOT impress me. I had 3 and only one was good enough to sell ["as is" to someone who wanted to try some filework, rescale, etc.]. The other two had the dreaded "high blade" ["stands proud"
of the handle when closed] and that was their only "good point".
The Italian LLs [especially the ones with steel liners/bolsters] have been great.
paulbetts

Post by paulbetts »

thanks for all the help and advice but ive gone and spent all santas money now on a buck 110 auto FG NS coil fired , what i realy wonderd was wich was the better conversion coil or leaf , the dealer said leaf kicked a little harder but coil was a smoother but both were very good and work well i realy wanted the 112 but could not find one in nickel finnish but on the odd occasions i need it ime not botherd abbout the extra weight anny way i will give you my verdict in a week or two happy new year to all paulbetts