Dark Horn

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dorkmas

Dark Horn

Post by dorkmas »

i bought a couple of SKM stilettos recently in dark horn, one 9"brass marked "made in italy" and the other is 8" marked AB. the scales are so dark that i cant tell if its really horn. i own other dark horns and they all have super tiny streaks in them when you look close with a flashlight. also if i put my flashlight right up to the scales i can see the horn glow a bit, the two stilettos i recently bought do not have any accents or micro streaks nor can i get it to glow at all. they are pitch black. my 4" from skm, my frank bs and my case toothpicks are all streaky horn.

found this post, the only thing i could find to make me think that maybe they are dark horn. V

Postby Vagrant » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:24 pm
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Black/dark Horn.
My customers are divided on what they like. Some want them pure black and some want contrasting white/light streaks.
There should be TWO catagories :idea: ;
Solid Black and
"High contrast" or "figured" Black'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

does dark horn really get this dark? are there two kinds?
TRYKER

Re: Dark Horn

Post by TRYKER »

are you sure it's horn ??? maybe plastic. take a sewing needle ,heat it up and touch it in an out of the way area, it will smell like plastic or burning hair.
dorkmas

Post by dorkmas »

funny you say that, that is what i did, but couldnt get a good whiff, ill have to try it again.
dorkmas

Post by dorkmas »

anyone else own an skm dark horn? what does your horn look like?
dorkmas

Post by dorkmas »

so i shaved off a bit and hit it with a flame, smells like plastic, melts like plastic. not sure who made the mistake here but both skm knives sold as dark horn were plastic. the retailer fortunately has excellent customer service and are letting me return them even after i shaved one.