Vagrant can you id this knife?

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Vagrant can you id this knife?

Post by gravknife »

Vagrant
Ive had this knife for some time now and never been able to find out its purpose.
It was being used by an old freind to defrost his freezer amd I decided to save it .
Its 9" and has a razor sharp edge on the cutting side plus the sharpened back edge .The sheath is tin lined I added the snake skin as it was torn.
It has a round tsuba shaped guard and the handles are gutta percha.
I thought it could be an oyster shucker or patch knife but hope you can id it.
I know from the freind that its at least a 100 years old,and its good steel retaining a sharp cutting edge.
Any ideas on its purpose,or is it just a homemade .
Thanks in advance.
Gravknife
Attachments
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (205.55 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: Vagrant can you id this knife?

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Gravknife,

OK, I'll bite. That there knife is most likely steel, with a handle, and a brass finger guard. Probably used for cutting something. The sheath helps transport the knife in a safe manner. So, what you have there is, a knife!

With a sheath.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks Mr Bonzo
I'm glad I finally know what I have after all the years of wondering:)
And I thought it was a screwdriver.
Teach me to ask questions about a knife on a knife forum.
Thanks for posting and putting me straight.
Take care

Best regards

Gravknife
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Gravknife,

How could I possibly teach you about asking questions regarding a knife? Your inquiry was well illustrated, and requested in a most professional manner. My response was one that shows my complete and total lack of knowledge for a unique handled sharp looking object. Since nobody else volunteered as much of a guess, I took it upon myself (on behalf of myself) to offer my best and complete evaluation of your knife, which I will admit, really sucks, but at least I took the time to offer a suggestion of semi-questionable intelligence. Thank you sir for your response.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mr Bonzo
Thanks for replying in any shape or form.
Your response made me laugh anyway .:-D
I have asked about this knife on 3 forums ,to no avail.I think nobody knows or dont give a s""":) or as you say its a knife and that's that it cuts.
I get a bit ocd on things on knives and just need to know.
When I bought it I promised my mate id identity his grandfathers knife,but hes no longer with us to give the info back to.
I hadnt seen it for years and know Vagrant knows his stuff, so I posted.
Anyway mate im glad to meet you and at least I gota reply on a knife that doesnt kick like Bruce Lee so thanks for that.

Take Care Mr Bonzo
Regards
Mr Gravknife
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Gravknife-

Whatcha' have is one of a few rare specialized instruments, to wit: It's a Doofus un-descended testicle harvester tool. The return hook is used to help promote lost masculinity via painful Doofoid nether hacking. The glamorized sheath is designed to blend in whence sneaking up on Doofid fan base at Mt. Zoomie retro-f*g disco dancing flagellation clubs, AS is his wont to emcee at. Caution! Do naye touch nor sniff residue on blade.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Cheers Wally
I think
Thats some imagination I definitely wouldnt have pegged it as a castration device.:-o
Thanks for anatomically breaking it down aswell,i have weird visions since reading this and its giving my wife ideas.
Thank you and you take care mate.

Regards
Gravknife
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I literally spent over an hour going over every country in Asia,Europe and Africa and could not find any info.
I have seen this particular blade style before but just cannot find another.
There are the ancient Egyptian swords with a tip shape very similar.

Are there any markings or stamps? Did the sheath seem to be original or made later?
Attachments
Egyptian.jpg
Egyptian.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks mate
I think it may just be an old patch knife.I havnt found anything like it in years of looking..
The Gutta percha grips are old and the tsuba style guard its strange.
The sheath is original I added the python skin to mask tears in the leather,but the knife fits like a glove and the guard fits through a slot in the leather.
No makers marks ,the blade is curved when looking down on it ,its a weird one,could be Wallis castration blade for all I know, and now I've admitted adding the snakeskin. :roll:
I've seen patch knives but their different ,many were h andmades but i don't think its old enough for that purpose.
Someone one day will see and know,hopefully:)
Thanks for taking the time to look for me mate.

All the best
Gravknife
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

After giving it a loser look it could possibly have been some type of hand made knife for harvesting fruits like maybe bananas or coconuts. Maybe beheading jungle dweller! Hope you receive a correct answer on exactly what you have.
2024 candidate for president