Smitty Model 10

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Smitty Model 10

Post by Viking45 »

Well I thought it would be a simple search and find the answer but not the case here.
My dad bought a S&W Model 10 back in the early 70's and gave it to my brother a few years ago. He just bought another one yesterday and this one has a little more meat in the frame and the barrel is heavier with a (for a lack of better term) "rib" on top? Not like the vented rib on a Colt just extra steel.

His old M 10 had the slender barrel,it seems like it even tapered a bit. (been a while since I've seen it)

Well I tried looking up info on dating his latest Model 10 and I have found lots of "almost" info but nothing solid. I can usually get in and find this stuff.
I did find out that there are two things in play here,one is of course the serial # and second is the four digit number inside when you open the cylinder.
This gun has changed many times through the years,not sure what it was first called but later it became the M&P (Military/Police) and someone even said it may have been called the Victory Model before becoming the Model 10.
Any info would great,we just want to know what year it was made.